Owners of East Dulwich Tavern go into Administration

14 hours ago, musicman said:

Argh, that sucks. Some classic South London venues on that list. Hope they manage to successfully reinvent themselves. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Probably, though presumably some of them must be losing money, there must be debt to service or other issues to cause the administration. At macro level, there are probably too many similar businesses for them all to survive. I find myself wondering similar about all the cafe's we have now. 

9 minutes ago, mrwb said:

Probably, though presumably some of them must be losing money, there must be debt to service or other issues to cause the administration. At macro level, there are probably too many similar businesses for them all to survive. I find myself wondering similar about all the cafe's we have now. 

Yes, so many new places recently opening, and with such a lot of choice, one bad or even so- so  experience might not lead to people giving them the benefit of the doubt and making  a return visit.

And there is presumably a finite pool  of potential customers, even allowing for people visiting ED just to eat there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jazzer said:

Had no idea people came to just eat in ED.

I used to come to Lordship Lane with friends  in the late seventies/early eighties to eat at the Dulwich Tandoori.

None of us lived in the area, and didn't know anybody who did!

I'm pretty sure this still happens. Though probably not to the Dulwich Tandoori, where I haven't been for years.

I've just noticed that almost all the Ivy hanging around the top of the EDT is dead.

Seems like a bad omen. In previous years their flower displays have been lovely, and generally well cared for 😭

On 16/07/2024 at 18:42, Sue said:

I used to come to Lordship Lane with friends  in the late seventies/early eighties to eat at the Dulwich Tandoori.

None of us lived in the area, and didn't know anybody who did!

I'm pretty sure this still happens. Though probably not to the Dulwich Tandoori, where I haven't been for years.

First time i came to East Dulwich was to have sunday lunch at La Careme with my parents around 1980. It was where Sema Thai was I think. I was in hall of residence round back of fox on the hill and i think they wanted to go there because east dulwich seemed 'posher' than Camberwell even back then before it was gentrified.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sandyman said:

First time i came to East Dulwich was to have sunday lunch at La Careme with my parents around 1980. It was where Sema Thai was I think. I was in hall of residence round back of fox on the hill and i think they wanted to go there because east dulwich seemed 'posher' than Camberwell even back then before it was gentrified.

I don't remember La Careme at all! 

But I'm not sure we ever went anywhere other than the Dulwich Tandoori 😂

I can't remember how we got there, I think one of my friends must have driven. 

I was living in South Norwood at that time, but I don't recall thinking East Dulwich was particularly posh. Though it probably was compared to South Norwood 😂

It certainly didn't seem at all posh when I moved here over thirty years ago. I remember having  to explain to people that it wasn't actually Dulwich Village .....