Clock House pub closed down?

Does anyone know what has happened to the Clock House pub? It was visibly closed when I went passed it today and covered in scaffolding. Their website is gone too. 

One more pub casualty in East Dulwich? 

Thought it closed down years ago when Young's ceased brewing.  Or perhaps just became a shadow of its former self.  It was a proper local and certainly not a sports bar.  Sister pub, the Dulwich Woodhouse, ditto

1 hour ago, malumbu said:

Thought it closed down years ago when Young's ceased brewing.  Or perhaps just became a shadow of its former self.  It was a proper local and certainly not a sports bar.  Sister pub, the Dulwich Woodhouse, ditto

Have Youngs ceased brewing? 

I still see their beer on pumps here and there?

Not a great loss if they have 😂

I didn't know the Clock House and the Wood House were connected? I've never been fond of either of them. They've always felt rather bland and characterless, whatever was done to them to "improve" them.

• Like 1

They stopped brewing in 2006 and their pubs became a pub chain.  Some like the DW and Clock were sold on.  The wonderful Youngs' estate of 2006 bears no semblance to the pubs of today.  The beers is brewed under license by a multinational brewery.  So pretty awful in all directions.  

Just now, malumbu said:

They stopped brewing in 2006 and their pubs became a pub chain.  Some like the DW and Clock were sold on.  The wonderful Youngs' estate of 2006 bears no semblance to the pubs of today.  The beers is brewed under license by a multinational brewery.  So pretty awful in all directions.  

It always was awful, apart from some which only seemed to be available at certain times of year.

Can't remember what that was. Porter?

Not an easy time for pubs and any business that needs discretionary spending in an ever more competitive environment amongst squeezed disposable incomes. Also see:

Wells sold off the brewery to what is now Carlberg.  'Youngs' is still brewed there, I had assumed that the brewery had closed and moved to where they brew Courage, Brakespears and other brews from long closed breweries.  But irrespective of this only Youngs in name.

All this goes back to unintended consequences of the break up of big national brewery power in the late 80s.  All major brewing interests in the UK no longer British 

Off topic sorry, but I was in a pub last week which had Youngs - four pumps, all with exactly  the same beer.

Thinking it would be crap, I had a pint of Estrella, but I tasted my partner's pint of Youngs and it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected.

Back on topic, let's hope both the Clock House and the EDT can stay open (and that the Clock House continues to open in the afternoon on Christmas Day 🤣 , fortunately or unfortunately being on the way home from The Ivy House 🤣)