Problems using phone since going digital.

We went digital with our landline last autumn as heard that this was inevitable by 2025. Government/telecoms have now pushed this back to 2028.

For the 3rd time in as many months. we cannot make or receive calls. Internet is working. Have tried ringing from mobile to number( 0800 800151} no answer. Family and friends worried that they cannot get hold of us. Hubby has tried on his mobile but no joy. Anyone else have this problem?. Would like to go back to the analogue system which was at least reliable but imagine that this is not possible.

44 minutes ago, Pugwash said:

We went digital with our landline last autumn as heard that this was inevitable by 2025. Government/telecoms have now pushed this back to 2028.

For the 3rd time in as many months. we cannot make or receive calls. Internet is working. Have tried ringing from mobile to number( 0800 800151} no answer. Family and friends worried that they cannot get hold of us. Hubby has tried on his mobile but no joy. Anyone else have this problem?. Would like to go back to the analogue system which was at least reliable but imagine that this is not possible.

Have you asked your provider to check what is happening?

• 2 weeks later...

Pugwash, and anyone else who isn't quite ready to throw away 020 numbers...

There are a number of providers of VOIP (voice over IP) numbers and i am happy with mine,   If you get no joy with yours then i suggest you contact them.

Andrews and Arnold ported my 020-8299 number and i got a refund from BT. First negative phone bill ever 

Some routers provide support for an old style phone (POTS - Plain old telephone service).

The key issue with the change-over (when it's all working it works just like the PSTN as regards the user experience) is that the PSTN was exchange powered, and exchanges had battery racks and even generators to ensure continuity of service (and that's also why people could get significant shocks from PSTN wiring). 

The VOIP system relies on (and needs) on-site mains power (although you can get back-up battery packs in case of power outages). That means that at times of civil emergency, such as power cuts, just when you might most need a phone, there isn't one to hand!

Until you are provided only with a fibre connection (which does not support PSTN connectivity) you can continue to use your existing copper landline, if you have one, in the same old way (and might as well, as you will be charged for that). You could even, by paying more, be both fully fibred and run your PSTN phones. But when the copper network is pulled from your road (as it eventually will be) you will be fibre or nothing for 'wired' services. Wireless connectivity - which always relies on local power - stays the same.

Assuming you are fully fibred now (no copper lines coming into the house) and have IP connectivity (you can access the internet) then the problem most likely lies at the 'exchange end' - which may be because a computer is failing to recognise your number as being valid, which means packets being sent to or from it aren't able to go anywhere. With a lot of activity in the system it may just mean that new ID data is being input but old ID data not properly refreshed.