Why is the PO in Lordship Lane closed?

Just walked past the main post office in Lordship Lane & it's closed. Anyone know what's going on. No notice on door or anything. Strange. I will have to go to Rye Lane to post my parcel - I hope they are open.

Vik Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Strike action.

>

> http://www.postoffice.co.uk/post-office-branches-s

> trike-action#s113200850

>

> Rye lane also affected, Crosswaithe Avenue open

> though and always quiet.

Thanks for the link, very useful. I rang the main number & they said Forest Hill Rd PO is open today but Rye Lane is shut. Lordship Lane is open again tomorrow.

Katy Tonbridge Wrote:

> A note on the door explaining what was happening

> with an apology for any inconvenience might have

> engendered a bit more sympathy for their cause.

There was no note when I went past this morning.

Cora Wrote:

> There was a sign that looked like it had fallen

> off and been stuck on the dry cleaners next

> door....

Ah,well that's why I didn't see it. Glad to know it wasn't just me going nuts lol

Yes that office is definitely on strike today.

I took a parcel in on Saturday and was told if I sent it by the ordinary Parcelforce service it would not leave until Tuesday as they were on strike on Monday :(

Apparently the Post Office want to close this branch and place a counter in another shop similar to the arrangement in Forest Hill. I have noticed that often the queues are shorter than they used to be but it can still get busy. We have always had good service at this branch. It would be interesting to hear of people's experiences with the Forest Hill service.

Lordship Lane Post Office costs ?1.48 to run for every ?1 of commission for providing the services. So its making a sizeable loss.

So the Post Office are seeking a retail partner to run a replacement Post Office franchise in the centre of Lordship Lane. I presume such a partner would make a profit by opening more hours to spread their capital costs further. For the staff they could either TUPE across but it's likely the hours would become more shop like.

The staff union the CWU is dead against any changes as clearly the staff are - hence the strikes.

Personally I find no queues at the Crossthwaite or 369 Lordship Lane (near Dulwich Library) sub Post Offices and provide 99% of the Post Office services I need.Both are open slightly longer except for Weds and Thurs afternoons respectively when they're closed.

Hi James,

The last round of cuts saw the sub-PO on Melbourne Grove get the chop, with the family-owned shop closing as a result. Today, like many days, the queue at the Lordship Lane PO was out of the door, even with four counters open. If the LL PO closes, too, I'm not sure there will be a service within reasonable walking distance of this end of ED. I can understand why the PO/politicians might put the branch into a shop to save money, by selling a prime site and franchising the business, but why can?t they be straight about how local services will suffer further?

Appreciate that Lordship Lane Post Office is running at a loss, and I agree with James that any business that incorporates PO counters would want to do so to see a profit. Perhaps as has been suggested moving the PO counter into a shop maybe the answer, but can't think of any business locally that is big enough to incorporate PO counters into (perhaps one of the large estate agents may be interested?????)

Closure of the LL PO will leave residents and businesses with no post office within easy walking distamce. It will further lengthen the already existing long queues at this post office and merely move them to others in the area, so adding to the existing queues elsewhere. This happened when the Woodvale Post Office closed with the nearest PO being in Forest Hill Road.

Both in Forest Hill and Lewisham the PO counter went into a branch of WH Smiths, but Lordship Lane does not have one and the branch in Peckham closed. Can't see WH Smiths opening on the Lane.

Have councillors approached the PO to see what alternatives can be suugested/proposed?

The closure and if a replacement isn't found will put added pressure on the excellent 369 LL PO.

I've used the PO's at retail outlets, such as the one inside WHSmith at Forest Hill and have found it better than the main PO here which is always busy as mentioned no thanks to closing the Melbourne Road sub PO. Those inside WHSmith stores also stay open until 5.30pm on Saturdays.

As long as the PO has adequate space in another retail outlet, this is preferable than not having the service at all.

Re The post from James Barber about the small post office near the library. There is often a queue and usually only one window open and they do close at lunchtime.They will only take three parcels at one time.However the people behind the counter are always helpful.

Hi dbboy,

Yes, we have a commitment fro mthe post office that any replacement will be very local to the current one. Wil lprovide at least the same services as the current one. And they're not clear that they will find an alternative in which case the current one stays.

BUT if it stays making a loss then any change of government could see the current guarantees evaporate.

So we need a long term solution to gurantee Post office services in the heart of East Dulwich.

James, how about a community run post office - all part of that "infamous" big society idea, is it something you would be willing to initiate discussions with the post office about to see if they would consider such a proposal?

It was a possible idea that in principle could be considered as an alternative may enable the post office to remain. Clearly in making a loss, any venture to either incorporate the PO or be a PO with other added services would neeed to be profitable. The first thing to do would be to look at the PO in its current operation and see how the losses are incurred and what changes can be made to reduce and negate these I'm TRYING to be creative, apologoies if you do not see the merits of this, but at least it's an idea.

Let's see how James and the other councillors feel about the suggestion or if they have any other ideas. It's better to try and fail rather than do nothing at all and lose a vital resource.