Recently moved into area, suffering with plane noise, need advice

2 hours ago, first mate said:

Don't know much about this but will say that I have noticed more aeroplane noise recently, it seems to have got worse but no idea if that is about my perception or a reality.

More planes at this time of year? Summer breaks?  School holidays? 

It sounds incredibly stressful Brendan. What you can change over time is your relationship to noise. What we give attention to grows and it is easy to get stuck in a loop of noticing and focusing on  things that annoy us, which does nothing to diminish their annoyingness. Maybe you could consider starting a meditation practice, in which you focus on stillness and silence. Initially you all you might notice is the noise  you can hear, but over time you will build a sense of inner calm and quiet from which you observe things unfolding without a corresponding increase in blood pressure or annoyance. 

I do teach meditation (in case you wonder on what basis I offer this suggestion) but I'm not here to advertise my services. I'd be more than happy to give you more information/help free of charge if you feel like it's something you might be interested in. 

Edited by QueenMab
Typo

• 2 weeks later...

City Airport does not Help with there flights in and out, I have lived in East Dulwich since 1963 and the planes were noisy then but now they have got worse because of bigger airports and more flights. they cause more pollution than all the cars in London, yet the Govs are not prepared to solve the problem. instead they lock you up for saying thing on FB and X. Its a mad Country we are living in with all these loony lefts dictating how we live our Lives.

1 hour ago, fredricketts said:

City Airport does not Help with there flights in and out, I have lived in East Dulwich since 1963 and the planes were noisy then but now they have got worse because of bigger airports and more flights. they cause more pollution than all the cars in London, yet the Govs are not prepared to solve the problem. instead they lock you up for saying thing on FB and X. Its a mad Country we are living in with all these loony lefts dictating how we live our Lives.

⁉️

6 hours ago, fredricketts said:

they lock you up for saying thing on FB and X. Its a mad Country we are living in with all these loony lefts dictating how we live our Lives.

Eh????

2 minutes ago, hfoster said:

I'm surprised anyone can hear the planes over the sound of the South Circular and day to day road traffic.

Depends where you live. I don't hear much traffic noise. 

They seem to vary the flight paths a lot and it depends on the weather too. If a lot are directly overhead it can be really annoying. If a particular flight is really noisy you can complain to Heathrow about it. They are obliged to respond.  

Burgess Park , Peckham area also so noisy, i live under the channel path - unbearable at times 😵‍💫🤯 !

I’ve found this online as i was looking for the answer: why is it soo noisy on some days more than on the other?

Aircraft take off and land into the wind, or with minimal tail wind. As a result, wind direction dictates the selection of runway(s) in use at any time. This in turn determines which flight paths are used.

I use earplugs : “ Muffles wax” from Boots - 5 pairs in the box
They do fantastic job! Can’t hear a thing and sleep like a baby 👶!

Fully recommend 👍🏻

image.jpg

Edited by Jojo65

Hi Brendan

This advice is if some investment in your house is an option.

We recently renewed the whole roof, and we added 15cm of insulation boards to the roof, above the rafters so no gaps. At the same time we fitted triple glazed windows and doors to the whole back of the house. 

It makes a huge difference, these planes also fly over us, but inside the house I rarely hear them at all.

On 30/08/2024 at 16:42, Jojo65 said:

Burgess Park , Peckham area also so noisy, i live under the channel path - unbearable at times 😵‍💫🤯 !

I’ve found this online as i was looking for the answer: why is it soo noisy on some days more than on the other?

Aircraft take off and land into the wind, or with minimal tail wind. As a result, wind direction dictates the selection of runway(s) in use at any time. This in turn determines which flight paths are used.

I use earplugs : “ Muffles wax” from Boots - 5 pairs in the box
They do fantastic job! Can’t hear a thing and sleep like a baby 👶!

Fully recommend 👍🏻

image.jpg

I noticed that these were sold out online.  They have good reviews. 

For the last two days I’ve not heard any planes to speak of.  But, previously, over the last month or so they were very, very noticeable.

Edited by Azalea

50 minutes ago, Azalea said:

I noticed that these were sold out online.  They have good reviews. 

fir the last two days I’ve not heard any planes to speak of.  But, previously, over the last month or so they were very, very noticeable.

These earplugs are available on Ebay also 🙂

And me too, enjoying my peace and quiet recently , cos the wind direction has changed, the planes ✈️ are landing on different runways. 😅👌

Edited by Jojo65

Wax ear plugs are sold at Sheel Pharmacy in Nunhead. The temperature of your body softens the wax and they mould to the inside of your ears. I take the cotton wool off first

Edited by Sally Eva
posted initially without completing
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is a huge issue and you're not imagining anything, anxiety or otherwise.

ED is bad in places but try Battersea, Putney, Barnes - Jesus C it's unbearable and yet these places are so expensive. Enjoy your garden? No chance!

Having put up with this for many years, I suggest: earplugs (forget the wax ones, get anything by Howard Leight), double glazing, or move.

For me the tipping point was one day feeling bewildered and delighted by the strange calm and then realising it was one of the rare days when the wind was blowing the other way over Heathrow.

I would never live under or near a flight path again.

9 hours ago, paul* said:

This is a huge issue and you're not imagining anything, anxiety or otherwise.

ED is bad in places but try Battersea, Putney, Barnes - Jesus C it's unbearable and yet these places are so expensive. Enjoy your garden? No chance!

Having put up with this for many years, I suggest: earplugs (forget the wax ones, get anything by Howard Leight), double glazing, or move.

For me the tipping point was one day feeling bewildered and delighted by the strange calm and then realising it was one of the rare days when the wind was blowing the other way over Heathrow.

I would never live under or near a flight path again.

Who said anybody was imagining anything? This is London. There are airports. There are planes. People travel on them, more at some times of the year than others.

You can get triple glazing, or else acoustic glass (which I was told is what is used in Heathrow offices, no idea if that's true, anyway I have it in my bedroom because of noise from a neighbour's then boiler, which at one point was cycling on and off all night - it must have been faulty -  and then waking me up early every morning).

I once lived on a farm in Herefordshire in the middle of nowhere, and my peace was frequently disturbed by small  fighter planes flying directly overhead  very low and very fast and extraordinarily loud coming out of somewhere in Wales.

At night, there was the screaming of small animals being carried away by owls.

I knew someone who bought a house in what he thought was a quiet place, with a beautiful view, and he was driven mad by the sound of local strimmers and mowers.

By the sea, you get very loud screeching seagulls disturbing the peace. 

In East Dulwich (in my road anyway) there is what seems like constant drilling and hammering and shouting from building work (there seems to be less loud music from builders these days, thank God. Perhaps they have discovered Bluetooth.).

You get my point, hopefully.

You can  fight against it (which won't work), try to change it (which in the case of the planes is unlikely to work), completely acknowledge it and accept it, or try to find somewhere to move to which completely meets all your other criteria and yet has no noise.

For what it's worth, I had been  very stressed and anxious for some time, and after one session of acupuncture focusing specifically on the anxiety, it disappeared and hasn't come back (touch wood).

There is an excellent community acupuncture clinic in Telegraph Hill. The 484 bus goes straight there.

https://www.hilltopacupuncture.co.uk/

I recently found out from a physio that some NHS hospital departments (not locally) use acupuncture. It isn't some woo woo thing, it works. 

Apologies for the very long post.

Edited by Sue
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Totally agree with you Jizzer. Check first. Where I am in zone 2 there are still planes, of course, but it's not that noticeable.

Thing with SE22 is it is that a lot of it is not notably on any flight path, and the planes are still relatively high up, so it is quite an easy mistake to make. And perhaps other benefits of such a glorious area outweigh.

But hey, to anyone who might think that living in London has to mean screeching plane noise every 90 seconds and you're some sort of pitiful hick if you think otherwise, well bravo you, you enlightened metro big global city dweller you. 🙂 

Edited by paul*