Distressed dog

susiq

I have never donated to the RSPCA and if I ever get cornered by a volunteer on the street asking me to donate to them, I kindly let them know that I know that the RSPCA do not do what they say they do and I would rather give my money to an animal charity that I know has a non destruction policy

Fair play First Mate, I'm just reading this thread now! That's really cruel and you did absolutely all you could today for the little dog.

Susiq's idea for multiple calls to the RSPCA is a really good one I think.

and Pommie, I forget the facts, but some lady called to my friend once (I don't even think it was the RSPCA), but she said something to the effect, that its two years before your monthly donations go towards the actual "cause", initially its costs/admin - whatever the right phrase is. My facts may not be 100%, it was a while ago when she told me - but my lasting impression was never sign up to the monthly donations.

Hope the little dog is good now, and getting a safe little nap after food and water

First Mate,

You are always one of the first people to offer advice about dogs, also one of the first people to offer help regarding dog problems.

Because of your intervention, hopefully this poor little dog has been saved.

I would just like to say thank-you for all you are doing, on behalf of all dogs etc.

I'm sure it is greatly appreciated by all animal lovers like myself xx

Apologies for going off topic but muffins78 has just made a statement that really can't be allowed to stand. Monthly donations are the life-blood of charities and it would be a very bad thing for people to read that comment and then stop monthly giving. The important thing is not to use a middle-man (i.e. a chugger who stops you on the street to sign up, or a phone call at home). If you want to donate to any particular charity then Google the charity, find its home page, and donate direct so that the charity receives 100% of your donation with no fees going to a middle-man (and your tax back too if you're a tax-payer). The same goes for direct debits; sign up directly from the charity's home page. If you have signed up to a charity via a third party then I would encourage you to cancel that direct debit and start a new direct debit directly with the charity. If you aren't sure how you first signed up then phone the charity to discuss.

Apologies again for the hi-jaking.

Donations are - I know that - but whatever way that lady was talking, it was the two year thing that stuck in my mind - so she must have been a third party!! But all else you are saying, I'd be thinking that way in terms of making any donation! Apologies, I wasn't trying to stop donations to charities, just be careful of the people on the street, kind of thing!

first mate, has the RSPCA inspector rang you back yet? Are the owners still there with the dog or have they taken her do you know? Did they thank you for bringing her water and looking out for her, just wondered if they felt terrible when the found out how distressed she has been all night but I'm guessing the fact they left her in such poor conditions in the first place means they probably don't really care :(

Never owned or wanted to own a dog, but I go with the principle of no living creature should be subjected to unnecessary suffering, especially if it's as basic as providing water when it was obvious anyone/thing would require it in the current temperatures.

So well done First Mate for your sterling work on behalf of the little chap and as far as I'm concerned you've earned a field promotion to Toppermost Geezer.

Seriously, you're one of the good guys of the SE22 postal district.

Thanks to everyone for their interest.

I am pleased to say that the RSPCA are now fully involved and they are monitoring the situation. They have visited the owners who have been read the riot act and have the option to care for the dog properly or to rehome it and the RSPCA will supervise the process of rehoming as well as ongoing care under the custody of the current owners. The RSPCA are also in contact with the landlords who are now fully aware of what is going on.

If it comes to it, there will be no problem rehoming the little dog as she is an absolute sweetheart.

One can see from the amount of views that this thread has generated how concerned we all are for this little dog. You have been an absolute stalwart First Mate and you are to be commended for seeing this through to a, hopefully, satisfactory ending. I do hope that the RSPCA keep you updated and I am sure we are all hoping that they do re-home the dog to somebody who would really love and care for it.

giggirl Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What a relief. Thanks so much for caring so

> deeply first mate. Can't help but be concerned

> that this adorable little dog is being sent back

> to the pricks that left her to fend for herself.

xxxxxx

My sentiments exactly.

And it took the RSPCA long enough to get themselves in gear, didn't it? Lucky for the dog that you were so persistent, First Mate.

First Mate-I just want to echo what others have said -it's heartening to know that you are so caring & persisted with this, despite all the lack of help you got from the authorities-although, sadly, I am not surprised by RSPCA, when I have called them in past they have been of no help.

Will you keep up posted as to outcome?

Perhaps you also should change your name to " First Class Mate"!!