Distressed dog

For the last hour, at least, a dog has been distress barking and whining. The noise is coming from a bunch of houses up an alleyway off Ashbourne Grove. The houses are behind the post office etc.. The gardens back on to the alleyway and are all fenced and gated, so no way in.

I have been out twice to check gates and doorbells with no luck. Two police out on the beat tried too, but no way in and cannot access doors to knock on.

Does anyone know of a dog that lives in these houses and any way of contacting the owner/owners? The dog sounds really distressed and frankly it's keeping me awake.

Can't access front door, though have tried.These houses are approx behind Willis B on Lordhsip Lane. The design is such that the only access is up an alleyway off Ashbourne Grove, where a short row of houses are accessed through the garden. All the gardens have high fences and locked gates. I've tried knocking, calling out- no response.

Sounds like you have done all you can! Hopefully someone on here will know the owners of this poor dog but maybe not read this thread till the morning. Surely if it is separation anxiety though the owner would be aware how much their dog suffers and wouldn't leave them alone, so maybe it's not and something else is going on such as the dog crying for help as something has happened to the owner like an accident?!

silverfox,

It's really not that difficult to sense when a dog is in distress, the type of vocalisation is different. Whatever you think of that observation, it's probably fair to say that a dog that barks for three hours straight is not having fun. Moreover, it's not fun for the people, like me, who can hear and cannot sleep as a result. And yes, it's still going on.

Well, it's morning, the dog/puppy is still yelping and has been throughout the night. The noise seems to be coming from the office/flats above Iceland. Judging by a sign on the door an organisation called Catch 22 may be using parts of the building.

The RSPCA say there is nothing they can do without sight of the dog. Will try Southwark next.

This dog is often left barking and I lodged it with the noise people at the council a few days back, barking from 8am until 1pm when I had to go out. Suggest anyone who hears him does the same so that they can investigate. I could only guess that the noise was coming from somewhere in Dudrich Mews so giving them a more exact location would be very useful.

Cora Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This dog is often left barking and I lodged it

> with the noise people at the council a few days

> back, barking from 8am until 1pm when I had to go

> out. Suggest anyone who hears him does the same so

> that they can investigate. I could only guess that

> the noise was coming from somewhere in Dudrich

> Mews so giving them a more exact location would be

> very useful.

I don't think this is the same dog Cora

Ok, every conceivable person has been called.

Working under my own steam and with the help of another neighbour, who lives even closer to the dog, I have managed to locate and see it. It is a tiny intact, Jack Russell Male, mostly white but with tan on head. The dog is being kept in the rooms above Iceland. The room it is in has nothing in it and is near derelict- it had been left since yesterday afternoon with some dry biscuits but no water, no bedding nada. But there are a few posion bait boxes in the room!

The dog is friendly and was desperate for water and to get out of the room. It is highly distressed and panting.

The only person I could find living in the block said she dod not know who the dog belonged to.

There is a whole series of empty, derelict rooms, many have dog shit in them.

I have called the RSPCA and at last they seem to think this might be worth looking at. I cannot take the dog as this might constitute theft, so I am currently waiting in my house trying to work, listening to it yelping, hoping the RSPCA turn up soon. All I can do is keep popping in and checking on it. I wnated to take it away with and would keep it until the RSPCA i/d the owners, but was advised not to.

If anyone recognises the description of this dog please let me know. If the dog is owned by someone 'living' in the building it is a very strange way to treat an animal you care about- the lack of water is shameful.

I saw a similar situation to this once on the television, and the RSPCA did attend and take the dog away. I would keep phoning the RSPCA until they come and rescue the poor creature and if they don't respond try the police - I believe that the police and the RSPCA do work together in these cases.

are you able to actually access the dog ?

the argument that it could constitute theft is tenuos at best - having posted on an internet forum, called the RSPCA and (presumably) spoken to local residents and business about whereabouts of/access to the dog, removing the dog from a squalid location when it's clearly under distress will not be proscuted as theft in any court in this land.

the question is what is in the dog's interests.

otherwise the theft argument means you have to sit and listen to the animal die.

unless the argument contends that only when the dog is withn it's last minute of life, haveing suffered internal organ damage through dehydration and starvation (and poison ?) would removal be 'allowed'.

If you have access, remove the dog and have a witness - unless the RSPCA are saying they are about to do this imminently. IMO the dog should be saved and the owners prosecuted, for animal abuse and nuisance.

if you want a hand PM me, this is just not on. I have a ladder etc.

oh the poor dog, I hope that somwone was able to get fresh water to it. Did the RSPCA eventually turn up? shame you could not look after it first mate, thank god you were nearby to summon help.

agree wtih KK the owner should absolutely be prosecuted for negligence, shameful leaving an animal without access to water.

CORRECTION the dog is a bitch..

Yes, I have given her fresh water.

She does not look badly cared for, which makes her current set up all the stranger. I can easily access her and have been popping in and out. Another call to RSPCA and have been advised in the strongest terms to leave her, and I quote, " or we'll having nothing to investigate, I know it sounds cruel but..."

So, as it stands, I've had a call from the RSPCA call centre and they say an officer will investigate, but no time given.

I will continue to monitor her myself over the next few hours.

Again, if anyone recognises the description of this dog please say. She is lovely and really friendly.