Work on Peckham Rye Common

I expect this has been mentioned somewhere else but has got buried in the GALA threads. What's going on on the Common part of of Peckham Rye? They seem to be building a temporary road from the Nunhead side of the Rye.

It is a big section of works with a lot of what looks like fencing being stored (I had wondered if it had something to do with Gala but couldn't work out why it was so far away from the Gala area).

The 'Works' on Peckham Rye are to be a new flood prevention.  Find out more information by going on Southwark Council Website.  I live not far from the park and we were leafleted a few weeks back.  

Posted (edited)

I really hope this doesn't lead to parts of the park being permanently waterlogged, as it did when they undertook similar work in Dulwich park. This quote (below), doesn't fill me with confidence....

capturing about 6 Olympic-sized swimming pools worth of surface water and releasing it very slowly

The cynic in me wonders whether this is a a case of an under investment in our infrastructure / drainage and sewage systems by private companies, externalising the costs of mitigation to councils (and to the detriment of our open spaces).

Edited by Earl Aelfheah
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dulwichmudlark said:

Seems the area they are working on is the bomb shelters bit odd that they would require drainage 

If they start adding 2 foot thick blast doors, time to panic  remember genisys is skynet....

• Like 1

It’s extraordinary that they do not post explanations around the park. Basic community engagement. I live very close but did not get notification. My dog is not impressed. 

• Like 1

Southwark did some good work maybe ten years ago improving the drainage on the football pitch to the left as you look towards central London.  Both the Rye and Dulwich Park would be standing water for several weeks around the football training areas in late winter, geology and precipitation rather than any incompetence. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Not suggesting any incompetence. But reading the info, it suggests that the bunds are being put in place to hold water in the park:

“capturing about 6 Olympic-sized swimming pools worth of surface water and releasing it very slowly”.

…so I’m interested whether this will lead to the park being more regularly waterlogged.

I would have thought that the responsibility for drainage / flood avoidance is a joint one with the private companies who run this infrastructure, alongside the local authority, but may be wrong. Again it would be interesting to know the answer.

Edited by Earl Aelfheah

My understanding is that they are capturing the water under the surface and then releasing it. The commons should be less wet on the surface as a result. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
On 19/07/2024 at 09:09, tercio said:

My understanding is that they are capturing the water under the surface and then releasing it. The commons should be less wet on the surface as a result. 

They are doing that and perhaps it will have that result, but the intended result is actually to reduce flooding in surrounding streets not on the common itself.

...to my other question, does anyone know who is picking up the costs of these works? Are the private companies who (as I understand it) have joint responsibility for flood avoidance and drainage contributing to the cost of these works?