Photo of the Victory Pub (now Franklins)

Cancerian

Just thought I’d share this photo of the then Victory pub, now Franklins, 157 Lordship Lane. I think it must have been taken in the mid to late 1950s as my late mother and father in law lived in the flat above for some years. My mother in laws uncle owned a car hire business to the back of the pub.

IMG_1488.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Not just pubs, please. I had family in the area in the early 1900s and would love to see what LL, for example, looked like before it was bombed in WW2. This particular branch lived in a house now supplanted by Marks & Spencers!!

Slightly pedantic I know but I think The Victory was an off-license or beer shop not officially a "pub", similar to the Fdenburg on Spurling Road.

Interesting talk by the Dulwich Society on the Pubs of East Dulwich on YouTube here:

• Like 1

I agree about its being an off-licence -- no licensee's name above the front door, and confirmed as a long-standing one by  https://londonwiki.co.uk/LondonPubs/Camberwell/LordshipLane157.shtml.

Attached is a Style& Wing ad from the Kentish Express of 1 May 1942, found in britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk.[removed.  Can't find a way of stopping it being displayed within post.]

Edited by ianr