White stuff on LL closing down plus Oliver Jonas

Businesses come and go, that's the modern world of business these days, hopefully both units will not sit empty, will be a waste if they do.

What LL could benefit from is another bakery, not like Gail's.  

On 02/08/2024 at 15:03, Jojo65 said:

Wouldn’t mind a Lidl or Aldi in their place 😉

Lidl would be great, but it's not going to happen, is it?

• Like 1

Or a Waitrose!😜

btw..this IS a joke!

I never used either shop..never even went in them (not my thing..) But I'm sad for the staff working there.

As someone who works in retail I feel gutted for the staff whenever I read of shop closures.

What amazes me in this financial crisis when Pubs are struggling and hospitality and retail genererally are having a tough time of it is the amount of people who obviously have money to spend on getting their nails (and botox etc) done.

Theres a large the amount of Nail bars in ED and Forest Hill town centre that seem to keep opening and keep trading

I do my own nails cos tbh I'd rather spend a few quid in Superdrug and paint my own nails and be able to have a nice glass of wine in my local once a week.

I dont know what I'd like to open there but not another Nail bar, bakery or coffee chain,estate agent or barbers.

17 hours ago, NewWave said:

Or a Waitrose!😜

I dont know what I'd like to open there but not another Nail bar, bakery or coffee chain,estate agent or barbers.

I know! Another pound shop! 

It would be worth it just to watch the reaction on here 🤣

As you were, only joking obviously, the pound shop we have now has been very disappointing, sadly. I've had bargains in pound shops in the past, but I've given up looking in this one.

• Like 1

Obviously one thing we are lacking is another DIY / trade tools type place. 

I mean we only have Toolstation, screwfix, Dulwich DIY, Plough, Shaun's and Leyland and there is so much improvement that needs to occur locally (not forgetting Labro in nunhead of course) .  Stroll on homepage or wicks or b&q  (lol did you know there is a " Be in queue" in Peckham? ) 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ArmandHelpen1 said:

We need more good clothing / shopping units on LL, hopefully will be replaced with more desirable brands. A whistles, or jigsaw would be great! 

I don't think its viable..I would LOVE to see a shop like the 'Good Works' charity shop where they support young women going into the workplace by getting them kitted out in suitable clothes...Their shops are are mix of excellent quality donated clothing mixed with pieces donated by brands which are sold at at least 50% off retail..I recently went into one of their shops and they had new clothing donated by Frame jeans, Skims, etc etc.

Due to their industry connections they are a cut above and very affordable.

3 hours ago, Katherty said:

It would be good to have an old-school, no-frills bakery somewhere on LL!   (with fresh chocolate eclairs and the like).  You hardly get those in London anymore.  

There used to be one, on the corner opposite the little charity shop. I think there's a coffee place there now?

It was certainly old school and no frills, but the cakes never looked very appetising. It was like something from the fifties (in my opinion).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Too many places offering 'baked goods' cakes and bread and the like.

really `i'd be happy to see anything other than an estate agent,nail bar,barber shop,coffee shop or any branch of a chain.

On 06/08/2024 at 17:56, Katherty said:

It would be good to have an old-school, no-frills bakery somewhere on LL!   (with fresh chocolate eclairs and the like).  You hardly get those in London anymore.  

Have you been to Ayres Bakery in Nunhead? It does the kind of thing you're talking about, but also other stuff very well. It's always busy.

23 hours ago, Sue said:

There used to be one, on the corner opposite the little charity shop.

Yes - it was called "Truly Scrumptious".

• Thanks 1

On 07/08/2024 at 21:12, Dogkennelhillbilly said:

Have you been to Ayres Bakery in Nunhead? It does the kind of thing you're talking about, but also other stuff very well. It's always busy.

Yes - it was called "Truly Scrumptious".

Thank you - I will go to Ayres bakery soon and hope for a fresh chocolate eclair. 

Sorry I'm late to this topic but I will genuinely miss White Stuff, as they sold good quality sustainable clothes that are quite fashionable but forgiving for those of us over 40. I went in there before they closed and the only reason they were shutting was because of the exorbitant rent they were being charged.