How can I contact Dulwich Park maintenance? Overgrown thistles on jogging path

The gardeners for Dulwich Park do an amazing job and the park is looking lovely. 

I was wanting to contact them about the wooded jogging track round the edge of the park. A lot of it has nettles and thistles growing over the path, making it difficult to run without getting stung! 

I contacted the Southwark Council email address for parks a few weeks ago, but didn't get a response. Wondering if anyone knows how I can contact Dulwich Park directly.

Thank you. 

noted on the Friend's map as jogging path AND dog exercise area - with Friends noting the circumference for dog walking.

the duwlch runners have the paved circuits - do the runners really need the outer paths as well? 

the paths are mostly fine - there's a couple of bits where the brambles are long (literally, a couple of bits of brambles).

I tend to tread them down if I need to get passed on the path

55 minutes ago, jim_the_chin said:

It’s called the jogging track on the park maps.

Perhaps grab one of the maintenance people in the park and ask them. I like it wild though. 

Thanks - I agree that is nice wild. It's just that in places there are thistles and nettles going right across the path. 

GOOD LUCK with council, Parks or Dulwich Estate.

I wonder what they did with all the money from the parking fines for driving through Dulwich village at the wrong time of day.

They certainly don't intend to fix the pot hole in Gallery road neither cut trees dowen that block peoples light or clear jogging paths.

HOW MUCH LONGER or are they Bankrupt like most councils?

I doubt it when they charge you £80 for your annual garden bin to be emptied.

https://dulwichparkfriends.org.uk/the-park/map-of-the-park/ for a map showing the path, plus some contacts, plus mention of Friends' "Tend the park" sessions.

I've used that path myself for jogging occasionally. I hadn't known anyone had designated it as such, and I see no reason why walkers shouldn't use it as well.  IIRC it's just the bits in the south half of the park that are narrow and like a woodland path; nicely reminiscent in a small way of  cross-country runs on Wimbledon Common.  The Dog Exercise area shown on the map seems to me, though I don't remember clearly, more like an open area, nothing to do with the path.

20 hours ago, malumbu said:

Parks and Recreation thread not roads.  Plenty on the transport section for that discussion.

you sound like the council 

fewer departments and more action

they might not go bankrupt.

On 17/06/2024 at 15:12, wilson said:

GOOD LUCK with council, Parks or Dulwich Estate.

I wonder what they did with all the money from the parking fines for driving through Dulwich village at the wrong time of day.

They certainly don't intend to fix the pot hole in Gallery road neither cut trees dowen that block peoples light or clear jogging paths.

HOW MUCH LONGER or are they Bankrupt like most councils?

I doubt it when they charge you £80 for your annual garden bin to be emptied.

1) OP's dilemma has nothing to do with Dulwich Estate

2) you don't get a parking fine for driving down a road that's closed to your type of traffic

3) if you want to know about Southwark's financial position you can look at their painfully detailed budget info online: https://www.southwark.gov.uk/council-and-democracy/key-documents/budget-book Or you can read this handy summary in the Southwark News: https://southwarknews.co.uk/area/southwark/budget-summary-key-points-from-southwark-councils-budget/

4) if you can find a private company that will collect a 240 litre bin of garden waste for less than £1.54 a week, you should definitely sign up with them and not the council...

I have just looked on the "Friends map",  The jogging area, according to them, is the main path for pedestrians, where there are no brambles, thistles etc.

The dog exercise area is right at the back and is nicely overgrown, I think OP has jogged on wrong path.

4 hours ago, Kathleen Olander said:

I have just looked on the "Friends map",  The jogging area, according to them, is the main path for pedestrians, where there are no brambles, thistles etc.

The dog exercise area is right at the back and is nicely overgrown, I think OP has jogged on wrong path.

The maps by the entrances to the park label the wooded path as a jogging track. 

Thanks very much everyone for the helpful info and contacts! 

I will try and talk to the park office.  Does anyone know where this is in the park? I don't think I've noticed it. 

If not, then I'll walk around to find it. 

On 18/06/2024 at 14:29, TES said:

General Parks Enquiries: [email protected]

Dulwich Parks Office : 020 8693 8635

Southwark Council Out of hours number : 020 7525 5000

As seen at: https://dulwichparkfriends.org.uk/about/ 

Thanks for this. It was that general parks email address that I emailed several weeks ago, but I didn't hear back. 

I have tried calling the Dulwich Parks number but didn't get through - but will try again soon, if I can't locate their office in the park. 

Having looked at the map again it does look as though the dogs and joggers have to share that perimeter path.  I would avoid and jog on the main paths if I were you.  

Many dog walkers just let their dogs off lead on that path and they just poo where they like as they can't be seen.

As Ian said, if it really is that important to you just call in to the office and ask them.

> As Ian said, if it really is that important to you just call in to the office and ask them.

I don't think I did. 🙂

Edited by ianr

5 hours ago, Kathleen Olander said:

Having looked at the map again it does look as though the dogs and joggers have to share that perimeter path.  I would avoid and jog on the main paths if I were you.  

Many dog walkers just let their dogs off lead on that path and they just poo where they like as they can't be seen.

As Ian said, if it really is that important to you just call in to the office and ask them.

I really hope not. When I last ran that path, it was fine. I think most dog walkers in the park are responsible and clean up their mess. 

Is it a stated requirement for dogs to be put on lead on what now seems to be the shared dog walk/ jogging path? Dogs should be on lead in other areas of the park but they need to be able to run somewhere?