Leash Laws not being obeyed in Dulwich Park

Can I politely request that people with dogs follow the leash laws in Dulwich Park and keep their dogs on a lead in the required areas. Before anyone calls me a Karen, dogs have the entire perimeter of the park to be off the lead, there’s just small areas that require them to be on a short lead. My puppy has now been attacked and bitten twice by off lead dogs in these areas in the space of 4 days. I walk him in those areas specifically to avoid dogs that will run up while I’m trying to train with him, but it’s happening anyway because people can’t follow simple rules. 

Edited by Administrator
Edited title to match post
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

Assuming from the title this is a general discussion on the park.  Always liked it. Great for cycling including London recumbents.  Kids played there when younger.  Never been fond of cafe, others may disagree.

1 minute ago, malumbu said:

Assuming from the title this is a general discussion on the park.  Always liked it. Great for cycling including London recumbents.  Kids played there when younger.  Never been fond of cafe, others may disagree.

Perhaps the OP needs to make the title more specific, to avoid the serious issue in question being taken over by other stuff unconnected with it?

• Administrator changed the title to Leash Laws not being obeyed in Dulwich Park

Sorry to hear your puppy has been attacked - very unusual in DP. Having said that, Recall is the most important thing to teach your pup & dogs. Try a long line in an area that people can see you - 

There are a lot of very selfish dog owners in this area unfortunately  

Goose green Park is now just a large scale dog toilet, unusable for anyone else who doesn't want to come home covered in it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

I'm sorry to hear about your little puppy being bitten. I hope s/he is ok. On another note I would be grateful if people generally don't use the name Karen negatively in posts. This Karen finds it rather hurtful.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Really sorry tohear this - incredibly unlucky and very unusual for both Dulwich and Peckham parks. (I have been a dog owner 12 years and never had any experience of this) what sorts of dogs were they? I’m assuming not the same each time - and did you see the owners? I wonder if there is someone new to the area - will def keep an eye out going forward . I do hope your pup is ok. 

Edited by tiddles

Sorry hear about your puppy. Sadly this is just the norm in all the parks and open spaces round here. Dogs off leash in areas signed as on leash only, and owners letting their dogs run pretty wild with no evident power of recall in the other areas.

• Agree 3

I once had an idiot unleash his dog on the pavement on LL, near Goose Green (so extremely close to  traffic)  to let it rush at my dog who was sedately walking next to me on a lead. I was carrying a bag of shopping.  I shouted at him. He couldn’t accept it was a stupid and dangerous thing to do, both for my dog,  his dog and me.  He said that he and his dog were jjust being friendly.  Just one of many stories I have about dog owners without manners; common sense or critical thinking. 

On 13/06/2024 at 15:41, malumbu said:

Title states " Leash Laws not being obeyed in Dulwich Park" .....think it isn’t a general discussion on the park. 

Original title was 'Dulwich Park'.  Always worth saying what the thread's intention is rather than leaving it vague or general in the title.  Apart from the general irrational moan thread on the Lounge which was great fun.

Edited by malumbu

On 24/06/2024 at 15:08, malumbu said:

Original title was 'Dulwich Park'.  Always worth saying what the thread's intention is rather than leaving it vague or general in the title.  Apart from the general irrational moan thread on the Lounge which was great fun.

Maybe some constructive help like Sue's reply would have been more appropriate, rather than your unpleasantly smarmy comment. Although the original thread title was vague, the first post introduced the thread quite clearly. Bet you felt quite pleased with yourself after your first reply 🤡

On 13/06/2024 at 16:28, Angelina said:

Dog walkers should not have the dog off lead unless they have full recall control, regardless of park rules

There's an increasing problem with some dog owners thinking they don't need to control their dogs and it's become worse since the pandemic. I recall taking my little boy to the part of Peckham Rye Park by the school for a little picnic. A Labrador-sized dog started to pester my son for his food while the owner was over the other side of the park chatting to her friends. When my son got scared and ran away, the dog chased him and my son was terrified. I called the owner over and she just laughed, saying that the dog was friendly. When I said that it's scary for a 2 year old, she got grumpy and said that I should know better than take a young kid to an area where dogs play. I didn't know at the time that that part of the park is considered to be an exercise space for dogs, and there were no dogs around when we'd sat down. I would expect any responsible owner to keep an eye on their dog and make sure that they don't harass anyone who does not welcome them. Then you get the owners who let their dogs run around in the dog-free picnic space in the park.....

Edited by ed26
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, ed26 said:

Maybe some constructive help like Sue's reply would have been more appropriate, rather than your unpleasantly smarmy comment. Although the original thread title was vague, the first post introduced the thread quite clearly. Bet you felt quite pleased with yourself after your first reply 🤡

There's an increasing problem with some dog owners thinking they don't need to control their dogs and it's become worse since the pandemic. I recall taking my little boy to the part of Peckham Rye Park by the school for a little picnic. A Labrador-sized dog started to pester my son for his food while the owner was over the other side of the park chatting to her friends. When my son got scared and ran away, the dog chased him and my son was terrified. I called the owner over and she just laughed, saying that the dog was friendly. When I said that it's scary for a 2 year old, she got grumpy and said that I should know better than take a young kid to an area where dogs play. I didn't know at the time that that part of the park is considered to be an exercise space for dogs, and there were no dogs around when we'd sat down. I would expect any responsible owner to keep an eye on their dog and make sure that they don't harass anyone who does not welcome them. Then you get the owners who let their dogs run around in the dog-free picnic space in the park.....

It's always really hard at this time of year even with well-behaved dogs when so many picnic parties take over the few off-lead places that we have around Dulwich--especially in the lower field at the Horniman. My dogs often don't get any off-lead time during the day as a result. It would be great if those who manage our open spaces would put clearer signage in place in the summer.

I just asked the woman in Dulwich Park to please call her dog because her dog was bothering my dog. I was told by her, “that’s what dogs do…..my dog is perfectly fine” she laughed.

My dog was on a lead, not feeling well and was not happy being bothered.

Some people are just utterly rude

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Angelina said:

I just asked the woman in Dulwich Park to please call her dog because her dog was bothering my dog. I was told by her, “that’s what dogs do…..my dog is perfectly fine” she laughed.

My dog was on a lead, not feeling well and was not happy being bothered.

Some people are just utterly rude

I had the same experience yesterday with the more elderly of my two dogs. I said 'Off' in a loud voice to a small schnauzer who wouldn't leave my old girl alone, and the owner told me 'never to speak to her dog  in that way again'. Really!

• Sad 1