DVLA Van in the area

Just to make everyone who is at work paranoid until they get home

At Lunchtime today, I witnessed the DVLA tax van driving around the streets of East Dulwich looking for untaxed vehicles.

It has a camera on each corner and uses Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) to pinpoint any vehicle that isn't taxed according the the DVLA database...

I expect that there will be a few irate people later today when they come home to find their car clamped

I love modern technology (6)

• 1 month later...

LuvPeckham Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

Just to make everyone who is at work paranoid until they get home. At Lunchtime today, I witnessed the DVLA tax van driving around the streets of East Dulwich looking for untaxed vehicles. It has a camera on each corner and uses Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) to pinpoint any vehicle that isn't taxed according the the DVLA database...

I expect that there will be a few irate people later today when they come home to find their car clamped.

I love modern technology (6)

B)hello everyone,

Wow, this is a busy place and y'all seem to be well informed----that is great! Thanks for the tip and I had no idea they had a van to drive around and reek havoc on the drivers. Isn't government just the most sure way to lose your cool/temper? Not to mention that it often costs you time and money to deal with the issues. Hope none of you got caught, have a good drive home!

number plates

blah blah blah motorists have been used as a cash cow for too long bah blah blah time for action blah blah blah support the truckers blak blah blah stealth tax etc

Sadly, those have little interest in getting their wheels taxed are usually equally uninterested in keeping their car in a roadworthy condition or getting it insured. They are also more likely to drive home ripped to the tits after a night out - I have no problem wth having their cars clamped, despite it being a bit Police statey

I agree and road tax wouldn't be as high if everyone paid the going rate. And even with road and fuel tax I suspect we're not paying the cost of the environmental impact and cost of new roads / repairs, traffic police and wardens etc, though I could be mistaken.

It's not like we can all even claim a car is a really necessity living in London. I brought mine with me when I moved to London last year, and have driven about 4,000 miles since I moved here, most of which has been going out of town to visit old friends. I have a sneaky suspicion if I were organized enough I could get rid of my car and rent one for the weekends I needed it and save myself money. I'm a bit too lazy for that so while I can afford it, I accept I get stung for tax/mot/insurance for the convenience of having one.

Don't really understand why they have to do this - as the DVLA database issues a fine automatically - doesn't it ?

Just increase the automatic fines (if they want to punish more) and make the vans redundant.

LuvPeckham Wrote:

> Just to make everyone who is at work paranoid

> until they get home

>

> At Lunchtime today, I witnessed the DVLA tax van

> driving around the streets of East Dulwich looking

> for untaxed vehicles.

>

> It has a camera on each corner and uses Automatic

> Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) to pinpoint any

> vehicle that isn't taxed according the the DVLA

> database...

>

> I expect that there will be a few irate people

> later today when they come home to find their car

> clamped

>

> I love modern technology (6)

probelm is that many cars are effetively ownerless an unless you grab then when they come up, the auto fines just wont find anywhere to roost

driving it is easy, the hard part are the incedentals like Tax/Insurance/MOT/Licence etc

many people just dont bother with any paper trail and a cheap car is effectively viewed as disposable if it gets clamped

Shouldnt really say this but.......

Some vehicles are covered by a weather protecter, which means the camera cannot identify the plate. Which means if you are a tad late you will miss getting caught!.

Just wait until the parking permit plan is rolled out into East Dulwich in a couple of months! you will then have to pay to park and have to have your car taxed as well!. I wish I was a council!

LibraCarr Wrote:

> Shouldnt really say this but.......

>

> Some vehicles are covered by a weather protecter,

> which means the camera cannot identify the plate.

> Which means if you are a tad late you will miss

> getting caught!.

>

> Just wait until the parking permit plan is rolled

> out into East Dulwich in a couple of months! you

> will then have to pay to park and have to have

> your car taxed as well!. I wish I was a council!

Parking permit plan!?!?!?! What parking permit plan?

I am just like Indiepanda, brought my car with me to London two years ago and have barely used it since! Admitidely I had a scary moment when I realised half way up the M1 that my road tax had run out! My reminder had gone AWOL - luckily I was only a few days late and a trip to the PO the following day rectified the problem but it was a genuine mistake, occuring presumable from complete lack of use of car!!

LibraCarr Wrote:

> Some vehicles are covered by a weather protecter,

> which means the camera cannot identify the plate.

> Which means if you are a tad late you will miss

> getting caught!.

==========================================================

Weather protector? Is that similar to speeding fine protector? ;-)

:)Annasfield Wrote:

> LibraCarr Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Some vehicles are covered by a weather

> protecter,

> > which means the camera cannot identify the

> plate.

> > Which means if you are a tad late you will miss

> > getting caught!.

> ==================================================

> ========

>

> Weather protector? Is that similar to speeding

> fine protector? ;-)

Its the legal name, without which the manufacturers could find themself in a a spot of bother :)