Post box collections

It seems to me that using post boxes as opposed to leaving mail at a post office results in delayed delivery.

I'm aware that collection times from many boxes is now 9am and not the old 4.30 /5 pm time. But a recently posted first class stamped letter took 5 days to arrive .

Is it just me ?

Posted (edited)

Nope, it's not just you. Posties often skip picking up the post from boxes if they're too busy. Particularly those travelling in vans are usually working under pressure, delivering an increasingly large number of parcels as well as letters, and adhering to digital trackers' instructions which are feeding updates to mail recipients. Scooping the freshly posted mail ends up taking second place. (Posties walking with trolleys also usually have lots of parcels, and trackers too.)

Edited by SpringTime

For your information. Each postbox has a barcode inside which the postie has to scan.

This records the exact time when the box was emptied. Posties therefore cannot skip emptying a box as this will be flagged up.

• Thanks 1

That is correct, the collection and delivery operations are separate - the delivery operations work from Delivery Office (DOs) - such as Peckham - whereas collection goes directly to Sorting Offices. What is true however is that there are more daily collections from Post Boxes associated with Main and sub Post Offices - so if you need something to go urgently using one of these will get your post to a sorting Office quicker. [A confusion can arise because the final sort of post into 'walks' is done at the DOs - but post collected from boxes does not go to DOs directly].