Food Banks

B&G

Don't get me started on zero-hour contracts! By the way folks - in case you missed my bbc link above (Sue didn't!) Lewisham hospital casualty and maternity services have been saved and that vile excuse of a human being health secretary Jeremy Hunt's proposed cuts deemed unlawful!

People power with the courts on our side for once!

Yes, the revelations about how widespread they are is rather shocking. Zero contract hours gives absolutely no security to employees and really shouldn't be allowed. Even if you need some one to be flexible you should still be able to put them on at least a temporary contract with varied hours. Zero hour contracts are just exploitation.

Indeed they are, LondonMix - it's back to the factory gates in the Thirties where workers had to congregate every morning in the hope of being thrown some work. Even the House of Lords advertised for a zero-hours contract for their Hansard recently (you couldn't make it up) - and it was advertised of all places on the Guardian website! (I've told them to stop colluding, the little hypocrites).

And don't get me started on 'interns' aka slave labour...

And by the way, what are you all doing posting on the forum at this time of the day? I sincerely hope you're not all 'shirkers' rather than workers and 'skivers' instead of strivers, as the coalition would poetically have it, having made tens of thousands unemployed due to their 'austerity' measures and then demonising them. (Starts chewing carpet...)

buddug Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> And don't get me started on 'interns' aka slave

> labour...

To play devil's advocate, maybe it's many of the other people in the workplace who are closer to 'slave labour' - tied down by big mortgages who daren't move on, ask for a rise, etc etc because of their bonded status. An unpaid intern, on the other hand, can just say 'screw you' and walk out the door.

I hate the devil's advocates! So stop it. But you're right about us wage slaves. But sadly, interns can't just walk out the door and say 'screw you'. If mummy and daddy have put you in that position through their contacts, it's the only way you have a cat's chance in hell to get a job in the future. Why do you think they stay? I've never heard of an intern leaving - they're just too thankful to have the chance, if that's what it is.

buddug Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> And by the way, what are you all doing posting on

> the forum at this time of the day?

xxxxxx

I'm retired, thank God.

Don't know how I ever found the time to work :))

Though The Goose is practically a full-time job ..... no skiving there :)

http://www.thegooseisout.com

Norwood & Brixton Foodbank

At St Luke's Church, West Norwood

Emergency food for people in crisis. Please get a voucher from your doctor or keyworker or call the Parish Office on 020 8761 0068. Volunteer and support at norwood.foodbank.org.uk.

I think for the last 2 years volunteers handed out winter coats to people who needed them as well.