Noisy neigbhours

Can anyone tell me what the Council curently does about noice nuisance? Our neigbhour has installed 5 speakers and his stereo in his back garden and sits in the house (presumably to keep cool )and plays music very loudly all afternoon (though not late, to be fair). It's driving me nuts and I keep looking at our garden hose thoughtfully. I have asked him once politely to turn it down, which worked for about an hour.

Lynne

I will never understand some people's perception of acceptable behaviour. It's a difficult balance in London. In one respect you should expect to feel the existence of others simply due to proximity. This does not give a free licence to all to lack even the most basic form of social consideration however.

Where abouts in ED are you may I ask?

You can phone the council and in theory the noise control people will come out and listen, and if they agree it's bad they will speak to the person concerned.

However the hours they work have been greatly reduced, and I don't know what they are now, though presumably you can find out if you phone.

Persist withe noise pollution unit. They will visit and send a warning notice. If he does not abide by it, equipment can be confiscated.

I would keep telling him stating clearly that it is not acceptable, not even for five minutes... You never know... The message might reach the brain...

I have told him again, not quite as politely as last time. Again, he lowered the noise for a while. Of course, if I could get the noise people out, there would be a quiet period! I could pop round and ask him to turn it up very loudly just as the council people knock on my door!

Lynne

Surely there is nothing anyone can or should do if the noise is during the day? If he is not keeping you awake late at night you will just have to suffer it. It is only while the weather is warm after all. I had a stupid woman knock at my door from two roads away saying my dog is barking at 9am and she works nights so could I stop him! Bloody Cheek, unbelievable unrealistic behaviour from some people.

I thought this was another thread about Man City!

Its hard to justify a reduction in noise during the day, unless its really shaking your house. Its not dissimilar to noisy renovation works, which we had to deal with for a year (while working from home during the day).

Good luck, but I dont fancy your chances.

I completely disagree about noise during the day. Hearing another persons noise can be completely soul destroying what ever time of the day or night it is. The council's guidelines are that your music should not be able to be heard outside the boundaries of your property and that makes perfect sense to me.

Foxhelp Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Surely there is nothing anyone can or should do if

> the noise is during the day? If he is not keeping

> you awake late at night you will just have to

> suffer it. It is only while the weather is warm

> after all. I had a stupid woman knock at my door

> from two roads away saying my dog is barking at

> 9am and she works nights so could I stop him!

> Bloody Cheek, unbelievable unrealistic behaviour

> from some people.

xxxxxxx

If your dog is barking so loudly, lengthily and often that it is disturbing somebody two roads away sufficiently to come and speak to you about it, then you should have the common decency to do something about it, not insult the person complaining.

I don't work nights, but I'd be bloody annoyed at persistent barking, regardless of the time of day or night.

No it wasn't doing all these things Sue, just each day he barked at 9am when I let him out before I left for work. This is not unreasonable for a dog. Stupid woman had wound herself up sufficiently to appear in her nightclothes. I am not responsible for someone elses neurosis. Everyone remember this is London not the Surrey Hills or Rural Kent.

Because we live in London there is even more reason to accept that we are surrounded by others and therefore should make a special effort not to disturb those around us....why is my desire for calm less important than someone else's desire for music, especially in this day and age when technology allows you to listen to your hearts content without anyone else hearing at all....sorry but I just think it's ignorant egotism...and on the contrary, if you want to blast your music out at any time of the day then that's when you should be moving to the middle of nowhere so no one else has to put up with it.

Cora Wrote:

> Because we live in London there is even more

> reason to accept that we are surrounded by others

> and therefore should make a special effort not to

> disturb those around us....why is my desire for

> calm less important than someone else's desire for

> music, especially in this day and age when

> technology allows you to listen to your hearts

> content without anyone else hearing at

> all....sorry but I just think it's ignorant

> egotism...and on the contrary, if you want to

> blast your music out at any time of the day then

> that's when you should be moving to the middle of

> nowhere so no one else has to put up with it.

I couldn't agree with you more Cora!

lane lover Wrote:

> Ultimately, city life involves noise. London is a

> medium-density city throughout, and you also need

> to have some acceptance of that.

>

> If you dont like it, then move to the country.

Sorry, I just don't buy that. Sure some noise - traffic, roadworks etc - is par for the course. But as others have pointed out there's no need to accept someone else's music blasting out so that it interferes with what you are doing in your own home or garden. I accept I can hear my neighbours, and I can hear their TV - that is part of life. But I don't want to listen to someone about 200m down the road's music in detail.

Some years ago a friend of ours moved to a house off Askew Rd in Acton. The young man living next door played music very loudly all day. Even his mum couldn't get him to turn it down, so after only a day of this noise my friend decided either the music stopped or he had to move his family out. He, with the agreement of the music player, bought a very good studio quality set of headphones. Expensive but effective - no more 'boom de boom yeah yeah' all day long.

Might be worth it in this case?

If this is serious, and the guy has literally shipped his speakers into the garden, it's totally out of order.

Just keep asking him to turn it down, he'll soon get fed-up. Catalog your requests and also the times/duration he plays, in case you have to take it further / things escalate.

The attitude of 'I am living in a place surrounded by other people so that excuses my taking no account of them',is perverse. In a city we have a much stronger responsibility to consider how our behaviour may impact those living in what is inevitably close proximity to us. If you don't like people enough to be considerate of them, move to the country yourself.

Breathtaking attitude. Someone puts FIVE speakers into their garden so that they can listen to their music from indoors. And some of you think this is perfectly acceptable and sane behavior. Why? Because it is happening during the day, so that makes it alright. Gawd help us all.

Foxhelp Wrote:

> Surely there is nothing anyone can or should do if

> the noise is during the day? If he is not keeping

> you awake late at night you will just have to

> suffer it. It is only while the weather is warm

> after all. I had a stupid woman knock at my door

> from two roads away saying my dog is barking at

> 9am and she works nights so could I stop him!

> Bloody Cheek, unbelievable unrealistic behaviour

> from some people.

Your response comes across as ignorant