Nuisance running clubs

Hiya,

Just wanted to gauge whether I was being unreasonable or not here - but is anyone get a bit peed off (scuse my language) with the influx of running clubs taking over our streets? Seems I can’t walk my pram, or lock up my lime bike without getting caught up in a flash mob of lairy hoka wearing joggers.

Is there anything we can do? Maybe introduce a Southwark running tax!? (Joking, but seriously)

thanks

Edited by Northcrossbuns
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Northcrossbuns said:

Hiya,

Just wanted to gauge whether I was being unreasonable or not here - but is anyone get a bit peed off (scuse my language) with the influx of running clubs taking over our streets? Seems I can’t walk my pram, or lock up my lime bike without getting caught up in a flash mob of lairy hoka wearing joggers.

Is there anything we can do? Maybe introduce a Southwark running tax!? (Joking, but seriously)

thanks

Yes I think you're being unreasonable. Or you're just very unlucky. Or you're oversensitive x

• Haha 1

There's a surprisingly large group (20-30?) that run past ours (Colyton Rd) several times on a Weds evening around 7-8pm. They seem like nice people, although they do seem a bit oblivious to other footpath users - one lone runner heading in the opposite direction had no choice other than to stop & stand aside for the train!

I don't think it's a huge issue though, certainly not worth getting upset about. Maybe try to have a chat with whoever appears to be the lead runner, ask if they could be a bit more considerate to other path users?

2 minutes ago, DuncanW said:

This is a wind-up, surely...?

First time poster, just joined the forum.....

But otoh it doesn't read like a wind-up ..... until the second post ...

Edited by Sue

@Northcrossbuns sorry to hear that you are finding running groups annoying. Just a thought... A recent study by the University of Manchester suggests that two-thirds of women get harassed while running. The study says abuse by men and boys is ‘everyday occurrence’ – with only 5% of cases reported to police. Therefore aren't running groups a good thing?  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, heartblock said:

If it looks like a troll, sounds like a troll and smells like a troll.....it’s a troll. If ignored they eventually go back to their little troll cave.

If it is a troll, I hope it doesn't go back to its troll cave. The post made me chuckle, which is always welcome. No harm in some gentle ribbing. 

• Haha 1

I nearly got run over on a narrow path (that runs towards Strakers Road) on Peckham Rye on Wednesday evening. 

I'd estimate there were in the region of 60-80. I think the lack of lighting and my dark attire may have contributed.

Being a runner I was more in admiration than consternation but I can appreciate how it may seem a little intimidating.

They do talk in raised voices (naturally) as they chat on their excursion but sadly the only words that the passerby catches is the expletive that seems to be a universal adjective these days .

Edited by peckhambog

My prejudices go back to my work sports club donkeys years ago when the runners went on and on and on and on about their PBs.  Not that us cyclists do that, of course.  Do you want to know my quickest time from home to Lambeth Bridge☺️

But like the cycle clubs who annoy the leafy residents in Kent of a weekend, overall it's a good thing for society.

• Agree 1