Sourcing Kimchi ingredients on Lordship Lane

Trying to save money (and the environment) by making my own Kimchi.  Is there anywhere in East Dulwich I can buy the chilli flakes?

(probably need somewhere that does the shrimp paste too!)

Edited by the_hermit
more detailed subject line

14 hours ago, the_hermit said:

Trying to save money (and the environment) by making my own Kimchi.  Is there anywhere in East Dulwich I can buy the chilli flakes?

(probably need somewhere that does the shrimp paste too!)

Let us know how you get on and, if you're successful, please share your method. I'm keen to try, instead of spending a small fortune on the jarred stuff. 

And yes, you can get those things in Organic Village and perhaps save a few pennies - SMBS is so expensive. 

Posted (edited)

I have managed to make 1kg of kimchi (1 cabbage-worth) from ingredients entirely sourced on Lordship Lane.  

SMBS sells Chinese/Napa cabbage, gochukaru and shrimp paste.  Organic Village sells only Chinese cabbage and shrimp paste (similar price to SMBS for these ingredients).  I did also look in Bora Bora but no joy there.

The cost for all the ingredients (beyond just the three above) was £6.60.  1kg of ready-made Vadasz kimchi from Sainsburys would be £11.25 and is much less tasty.

The main expense was the Chinese Cabbage £2.50(!) and 33g of gochukaru £2(!).  250g of shrimp paste was £4 from SMBS but you only use a tiny amount so that would last for a long time.  The next most expensive ingredient was fish sauce - I used about 50p's-worth.

You could save a lot by using a different type of cabbage but I like it best with Napa.  If you are vegetarian you wouldn't use the fish sauce or shrimp paste (the ready-made Vadasz is veggie so maybe it's not a fair comparison).

I suspect you could also save a lot by going to a Chinese supermarket in Peckham or Walworth but I am happy to support a local business.  I imagine the rents on Lordship Lane are not trivial.

I recommend buying a GN pan to do the cabbage-massaging without making a mess.  I imagine somewhere like AJ Farmer sells these but I already had one so didn't look.

I know for sure that AJ Farmer sells Kilner Jars and muslin for the fermenting.

Edited by the_hermit
added a sentence at the end
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

• the_hermit changed the title to Sourcing Kimchi ingredients on Lordship Lane
1 hour ago, the_hermit said:

I have managed to make 1kg of kimchi (1 cabbage-worth) from ingredients entirely sourced on Lordship Lane.  

SMBS sells Chinese/Napa cabbage, gochukaru and shrimp paste.  Organic Village sells only Chinese cabbage and shrimp paste (similar price to SMBS for these ingredients).  I did also look in Bora Bora but no joy there.

The cost for all the ingredients (beyond just the three above) was £6.60.  1kg of ready-made Vadasz kimchi from Sainsburys would be £11.25 and is much less tasty.

The main expense was the Chinese Cabbage £2.50(!) and 33g of gochukaru £2(!).  250g of shrimp paste was £4 from SMBS but you only use a tiny amount so that would last for a long time.  The next most expensive ingredient was fish sauce - I used about 50p's-worth.

You could save a lot by using a different type of cabbage but I like it best with Napa.  If you are vegetarian you wouldn't use the fish sauce or shrimp paste (the ready-made Vadasz is veggie so maybe it's not a fair comparison).

I suspect you could also save a lot by going to a Chinese supermarket in Peckham or Walworth but I am happy to support a local business.  I imagine the rents on Lordship Lane are not trivial.

I recommend buying a GN pan to do the cabbage-massaging without making a mess.  I imagine somewhere like AJ Farmer sells these but I already had one so didn't look.

I know for sure that AJ Farmer sells Kilner Jars and muslin for the fermenting.

What is a GN pan?