Thames Water says we have a water leak - is it a SCAM?

Since having our  water leak fixed, I have been checking the meter readings as shown  online in our a/c with TW.

I noticed that for a two week period the account was showing "no readings available".

Went out and checked the meter and found that the transmitter had become detached from the lid  and had fallen down into the bottom of the hole. The transmitter box should be attached on the underside of the lid.  With it being 3 feet down the hole it obviously couldn't send the signal to TW.

It appeared that TW had installed an insulation pad to prevent frost getting to the meter itself. When that was done, they stamped on the lid to fix in place. They stomped rather too hard and dislodged the transmitter.

I guess it pays to check the  readings online regularly!

• Agree 1

On 09/10/2024 at 19:24, vladi said:

Suggest you don't rush to get it fixed at your expense.

There are circumstances under which TW will fix the underground leaks within your boundary so if you get onside with their representative and appear helpless/impoverished,/vulnerable there is a very chance that they will fix the problem by replacing your old lead pipe with 25mm plastic at no cost to you.
It worked for me!

We have a shared drain and TW was responsible for fixing it when it was blocked. It was hard to get them to do accept their responsibilities but they did in the end

• Like 1