Thames Water said we have a water leak

Since having our  water leak fixed, I have been checking the meter readings as shown  online in our a/c with TW.

I noticed that for a two week period the account was showing "no readings available".

Went out and checked the meter and found that the transmitter had become detached from the lid  and had fallen down into the bottom of the hole. The transmitter box should be attached on the underside of the lid.  With it being 3 feet down the hole it obviously couldn't send the signal to TW.

It appeared that TW had installed an insulation pad to prevent frost getting to the meter itself. When that was done, they stamped on the lid to fix in place. They stomped rather too hard and dislodged the transmitter.

I guess it pays to check the  readings online regularly!

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 09/10/2024 at 19:24, vladi said:

Suggest you don't rush to get it fixed at your expense.

There are circumstances under which TW will fix the underground leaks within your boundary so if you get onside with their representative and appear helpless/impoverished,/vulnerable there is a very chance that they will fix the problem by replacing your old lead pipe with 25mm plastic at no cost to you.
It worked for me!

We have a shared drain and TW was responsible for fixing it when it was blocked. It was hard to get them to do accept their responsibilities but they did in the end

• Like 1

2 hours ago, malumbu said:

Perhaps the OP could change the title of this thread as clearly nobody is being scammed.  Or Admin.

Why should anyone want to alter the true record of the conversation?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, malumbu said:

Perhaps the OP could change the title of this thread as clearly nobody is being scammed.  Or Admin.

Why do you have to dis nearly every post?? At least it might help the vulnerable folk to keep on their toes and be aware of potential scams!

Because it obviously was not a scam, and the subject quickly changed to the matter in hand, ie a leak.  I've contributed positively to the discussion but I am finding the title misleading,  It was put up in good faith, and perhaps time to change it.  Sensible suggestion?  If you didn't like what I said would have been easier to ignore it rather than get into a pointless argument.  

• Agree 2

• vladi changed the title to Thames Water said we have a water leak
13 hours ago, Dulwichway said:

Why do you have to dis nearly every post?? At least it might help the vulnerable folk to keep on their toes and be aware of potential scams!

But how was this thread helping anyone vulnerable to be aware of potential scams?

I think it's your post which is unnecessary! Particularly as the thread title has now been changed, so clearly Malumbu's post was helpful.

How do you interpret  giving an opinion and contributing to a discussion as "dissing nearly every post"?

Now please do feel free to have a go at me as well 🙄

Edited by Sue

Whilst not, technically, a scam, as such, the desires that Thames Water had to put us all on water meters, with the ability then to raise revenues on a household basis (whilst pretending that some houses would see charges fall) - they said this price rationing would 'save' almost as much water as if they actually repaired their own pipes which lose so much annually - combined with the inaccuracy of 'smart' meters in general - is as close to a corporate scam as it is possible to get without actually breaking the law! 

Indeed Thames Water is about as squeaky clean as the filth they pour into our rivers on a regular basis.

• Like 2