Problem with BT installing fibre optic cable

On 11/04/2024 at 12:32, Penguin68 said:

You can always run an ethernet cable yourself, or get someone to do it for you, from the fibre box that will have been installed to wherever you want your router. Run it under carpet etc. An 18 metre cable for instance would cost about £36. 

Get it for less than that.  Cat 8 Ethernet cable should only be around £20 for 20 metres.  Amazon sell plenty and at least if it's rubbish you can send it back! 

On 11/04/2024 at 13:42, malumbu said:

nd my issues about privitising national utilities harking back to the time when GPO/British Telecom were world leaders. 

One of my first jobs in BT (pre-privatisation) was to undertake international comparisons of domestic servicer quality in leading countries (the unexpanded EU, Japan and the US) - benchmarking studies - in cooperation with  the domestic carriers.

I can assure you that at that time BT (operating by then entirely separately from the GPO) was in no way a world leader - partly at least because it had a negative Public Sector Borrowing Requirement (PSBR) which meant that, far from investing its operating profits in new technology and indeed old, it was required to lend the government money (over and above the corporation tax it paid). It had been investment starved for some time - and it very much showed in the service quality we could offer our customers. At that time only France Telecom had worse service provision times, for instance. Ours were measured in weeks and months, in some areas theirs were measured in years!

The service quality offered to customers soared after privatisation, when BT could use its own profits and raise money in the open market to invest in the network and services.

And prices fell as the Regulator held BT prices to an RPI - (minus) formula - so that our prices had to fall in relationship to general price levels, over a number of years - it was RPI -3 for some considerable time. Following BT privatisation (the only one that has ever worked!) customers got much better service, at a comparatively cheaper (and cheaper every year) price.

[And, as an aside, Oftel, as it then was, has been the only effective regulator of privatised industry in the UK. Don Cruikshank, the Regulator, was clear that when and until proper competition emerged, he would act as a super competitor to force BT to act in a competitive (non monopolistic) way.] 

On 29/02/2024 at 16:25, mayfly said:

The question is - do we need an engineer? - does anyone know how to set up these Yealink W73P phones?

Someone does! 

My ISP andrews and Arnold set mine up for me. I am renting an 020-3 from them to.

Which ISP are you with- hopefully they will have a well informed helpline (or not)

Edited by OutOfFocus