Weird anonymous "war on motorists" leaflets on Burbage Rd

There's been a drop of anonymous leaflets criticising the council on Burbage Rd. A lot of hyperbolic stuff about a "war on motorists" (a cliche so tired even Jeremy Clarkson recognises it's nonsense) and "discriminatory" permit fees.

Interestingly, they have been affixed to cars but not delivered to houses, as if it were the cars that matter, and not the people that live here...

• Like 2

Seems they have been dropped all over Dulwich, seem to have been put on cars on most roads within the proposed CPZ area. Probably someone who feels the council has done a poor job promoting the consultation and decided to give them a helping hand! 😉

Sunak announced he was ending the war on motorists, I think at conference, but beyond reviewing LTNs, his government introduced, and ditto for 20mph, again supported in principle by successive Tory governments, didn't get a lot of coverage.  

Because if you took a walk around the local streets you would have seen cars with the leaflets still on them.........

And this morning there were still cars on many roads with them on.

P.S. I presume you are somehow trying to suggest I was behind it...love it (if that is the suggestion you are wrong).. .there are some typos in it and I am a stickler for proper proof reading! 😉

Edited by Rockets

Oh no! 

Shock horror.

Forum member enraged because local does councils job of publicising consultation.

Personally, in these days of cash strapped authorities I am pleased that someone is saving the council money  🤣

Wouldn't surprise me from people in the likes of Velde way on East Dulwich Grove or people who live on the South circular around Dulwich Common estate. They're stuck with traffic outside their house 24/7 meanwhile the mansions around Court Lane get to live in a traffic free wonderland...

Not sure why they leaflets would be done on Burbage exactly, restrictions around there are timed at least. I guess the increased parking fees have something to do with it ?

Oh dear, are people living on Burbage Road so hard up they can't afford parking fees?  Perhaps we could do some crowd funding to support them.

DKH, could you retitle this thread "the war on entitled motorists", plenty more from me on this subject 

Whomever did it has gone to a great effort to cover as many streets as possible (I saw some cars on the driveways of houses in Dulwich Village this morning with them on) and by looking at some of the reactions on the EDF Facebook page they have really annoyed a few folks - the comment on whomever did it must be a "bored housewife with a bee in their bonnet or a husband who is impotent" is an absolute classic and has managed to draw even more attention to the message in the leaflets.

Bravo to the mystery leaflet dropper!

https://m.facebook.com/groups/900015513463302/permalink/3158225520975612/

Screenshot_20240114_115356_Facebook.jpg

Edited by Rockets

Not withstanding it could be a couple, the bored housewife with her impotent husband.  Meanwhile whilst you get offended by semantics, the world has never been so hot.  Why not do something about it rather than congratulating the entitled motorist.

Edited by malumbu
  • Like 1

Some stuff on the history of the "war on entitled motorists"

www.theguardian.com/world/2023/sep/28/the-war-on-motorists-the-secret-history-of-a-myth-as-old-as-cars-themselves

Sunkak reinvigorated the term when standing against Truss

https://road.cc/content/news/sunak-pledges-end-war-motorists-and-review-ltns-295365

And then again at conference:

He has no time for public transport or bikes.  He's got a lot of disciples on this site, whether you think you are or not.

Perhaps they need to find a good pair of cycling shorts with a good chamois..!!!

Malumbu - it's pure political opportunism, he thinks he has something that will resonate with the electorate, and we need to put it in the same bin as environmental opportunism, greenwashing and environmental hypocrisy.....all of which are very prevalent nowadays as well.

Edited by Rockets

Seeing the leaflet, the title of this thread is misleading. The leaflet is simply highlighting the two consultations and the authors views on the negative impact of the two schemes. 

It's no weirder than the council ones which spin the advantages in their opinion. 

It's always good to have debate and the  ability to influence how our council sounds our money in my opinion. 

Funny how irate some people have got about this (especially on EDF Facebook); all the person behind this is doing is encouraging people to respond to the consultation and putting their point across to try to influence the way people respond - which is exactly the same as the council did with the much glossier leaflets they spent money on producing and putting through letterboxes about the very same consultation. Clean Air Dulwich and Dulwich Roads are doing the exact same thing on social media.

33 minutes ago, Rockets said:

Funny how irate some people have got about this (especially on EDF Facebook); all the person behind this is doing is encouraging people to respond to the consultation and putting their point across to try to influence the way people respond - which is exactly the same as the council did with the much glossier leaflets they spent money on producing and putting through letterboxes about the very same consultation. Clean Air Dulwich and Dulwich Roads are doing the exact same thing on social media.

Now that's "weird" 🤣

On 14/01/2024 at 12:25, malumbu said:

Meanwhile whilst you get offended by semantics, the world has never been so hot. 

Actually and strictly 'the world has never been so hot since regular measurements with properly calibrated scientific instruments started, in the second half of the 19th century'. That is, towards the end of what has been termed 'The little ice age'. Certainly temperatures locally have been hotter in the recorded past; during the Roman occupation of England grapes were grown for wine in the Vale of York. And it has been much hotter in the geological past. The issue of current global warming being triggered as a consequence of Man's actions is a real one, but don't over-egg your pudding. In the 1970s the great climate science fear was that we were 'due' another ice age (which have been coming round every million years or so recently). Maybe man-made global warming will stave this off! Ice ages lockup free water and make half the world totally uninhabitable. Like Antarctica on steroids. 

Climate change, loss of species, habitat destruction, air quality, geopolitical volatility are real and worsening this century.  I am sure you are not a climate change skeptic but those who are will point to different eras where it was warmer, colder, wetter, drier. 

Air quality, in London at least, has massively improved. Look at the figures. I'm old enough to remember the last true London Smog. Even since 2000 it's been improving. (The lock down period was an anomaly, when traffic almost ceased). One can argue that there is still room for further improvement, but doom mongering makes no sense, neither does denying improvements because they don't fit your argument. 

The vast majority of atmospheric scientists believe that climate change is occurring.  National governments collectively agreed in 2015 to to hold the increase in the global average temperature to well below 2°C above pre-industrial levels and pursue efforts to limit the temperature increase to 1.5°C above pre-industrial levels (Paris Agreement).  Meanwhile the industrialised nations and oil producing nations are not rushing to phase out fossil fuels.  And we appear to have breached the 1.5 degrees.

Emissions from industry and motor vehicles are down, due to a mix of cleaner technologies, a reduction in fossil fuel burning to produce electricity and a reduction in heavy manufacturing.  Controls on domestic combustion, particularly the Clean Air Act, and a move from fossil fuel for our domestic heating (fireplaces) has, as you say, improved our air quality,  Nitogen dioxide levels from motor vehicles remain too high, and government was ordered by the supreme court to sort it out, which it hasn't.  Other sources of poor air quality remain, such as ammonia principally from agriculture,   Poor air quality is estimated to still lead to the equivalent of 40,000 deaths a year.  As well as impacting on natural ecosystems.

This isn't doom mongering, this is fact.  Future generations will wonder why we didn't act sooner/faster rather than argue about the impact that it may have on our personal finances (pretty minimal for SE22 for most) and our freedom to drive. It's not just driving of course, microplastics, fast fashion, consumerism, shipping large volumes of products from China and elsewhere that we may be able to live without, aforementioned clean electricity generation etc.

It could and probably will get worse after the American presidential elections, which will at the end of the day mean our politics/government pale into insignificance.  That is a discussion for another thread/day.

3 hours ago, malumbu said:

air quality, .geopolitical volatility  are real and worsening this century.

Air quality is not. It is actually improving. To claim something is getting worse, when it is getting better, is doom mongering, in my book. Your arguments are weakened when you over-egg your pudding and make claims that are untrue. Geopolitical volatility is probably no worse than in (most) other decades since the end of the second world war. It just seems scary when you are in it.

But I've been in it for nearly three quarters of a century. Try having (armed) US nuclear bombers fly training flights over your house every few days, flying so low the crockery trembles and see how you feel about geopolitical volatility now. During the Cuban missile crisis the Royal Observer Corps (I used to be a member) was locked down in their nuclear proof (as if!) bunkers - we don't even have an ROC now!

I've lived through Korea, the Suez Crisis, Vietnam, Hungary, the Prague Spring, Les Evenments of 1968, the break-up of Yugoslavia and the Soviet Union ... well a lot. What's happening now is nasty, but hardly unique, or more worrying than what went on in the recent past. And this century is by no means worse than the second half of last century (of which I saw all!).

Edited by Penguin68
  • Like 2