Riot police on Silvester Road?

4 hours ago, letfordj said:

saying "This is South London. You have no idea do you?" when you live in East Dulwich is hilarious. it's about as far away from proper south London as it gets  🤣

So what is "proper South London"? 

I grew up  in Streatham in the fifties, does that count as "proper South London"? It doesn't seem to have changed much. 

And at what point does a place that is  "proper South London" become a place that is no longer "proper South London" ?

A rare incident was reported, probably for that reason, ie it was rare, and now there is a panic about how law and order has disintegrated.  Well makes a change from slagging off Southwark and their supposed war on motorists.  As Shaw Taylor would say, sleep tight.

Keep em peeled was Shaw Taylor's catch phrase

Poverty was rife in ED during 50s and 60s. and with it a degree of crime.

Growing up in the 1950s in ED - we lived in a top flat in Spurling Road. We shared an outside WC with the flat downstairs which meant walking through their kitchen. We had black mould in rooms as damp was coming through the flat roof. We were wired for light but not power so could not have a fridge. No hot water - washing was done with kettles in the kitchen sink. My Mum was a shop worker and I stayed with my Nan and Aunts at weekends as Mum could not afford to feed us both 7 days a week. When she ran out of money our main meal was mashed potatoes with chopped tomatoes. Mum managed to give me one shilling a day (5p) for school dinners (sometimes the only hot meal I had)

There was crime - gangs in Camberwell sometimes overspilled into ED, petty crime was common including shoplifting (especially from Woolworths (now Poundland)  if there was gun/knife crime - the kids were not aware of it. Most of my school friends in Grove Vale (now Goose Green) school were in similar private rental properties and came from homes where poverty was the norm.

• Like 5

On 09/01/2024 at 19:25, lindylou said:

Chris B. "Not what you expect in East Dulwich". This is South London. You have no idea do you? Understand one thing....you may have bought an expensive property here and expected south London to change for you and adapt for your needs, but it hasn't. East Dulwich was a very poor area, but it was an amazing community. Since the blow ins and gentifrication, south Londoners have been forced out of their community.

Really? You have an attitude. 

🤣 Ah yes, the mean streets of East Dulwich! Not exactly Jimmy McNulty’s Baltimore is it though?! More like a nice peaceful liveable part of one of the world’s largest cities with the usual smattering of crime.

• Like 3

As a general remark - there are no such thing in the UK (or London) as 'riot police'. There are the SPG (Special Patrol Group) but these are not, specifically riot police. When I reported a burglary under way in ED it was the SPG who turned up, having been on a pointless 'obbo' in Brixton and getting bored, and hearing the 'shout' that I had caused, decided to respond so as 'not to have a completely wasted day' as one explained. So the appearance of the SPG does not, necessarily, imply high levels of anything, except, apparently Met boredom!

• Like 1

Special Patrol Group hasn't existed in 35 years, I'm afraid. They were replaced by the Territorial Support Group after the Brixton Riots. They still have a reputation for antagonistic conduct and unnecessary violence. The man who killed Ian Tomlinson floated from disciplinary charge to disciplinary charge before he ended up in the TSG.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_Support_Group

Edited by Dogkennelhillbilly
  • Like 1

Yes, you're right, for some reason I still write SPG when thinking of the TSG. Just initials. And then expand it to the old name. The name was changed of course because of their appalling rep, but effectively the unit remained, or quickly became, the same. They're still the MET's tactical heavies. But their remit, and that of their predecessors, was always far wider than riot. In their case one TLA is much the same as another. 

Edited by Penguin68

On 11/01/2024 at 16:27, Rockets said:

Bottom-line is we live in a city with an increasing crime problem

except we don't if you actually look at the stats... homicide rate has halved since the 90s in London. East Dulwich is roughly half the crime rate average for London. it's relatively safe. stop reading the DailyMail and other places with an anti-London agenda.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 09/01/2024 at 19:25, lindylou said:

Chris B. "Not what you expect in East Dulwich". This is South London. You have no idea do you? Understand one thing....you may have bought an expensive property here and expected south London to change for you and adapt for your needs, but it hasn't. East Dulwich was a very poor area, but it was an amazing community. Since the blow ins and gentifrication, south Londoners have been forced out of their community.

Really? You have an attitude. 

lol, scaremongering 1-2-3

On 15/01/2024 at 12:58, letfordj said:

except we don't if you actually look at the stats... homicide rate has halved since the 90s in London. East Dulwich is roughly half the crime rate average for London. it's relatively safe. stop reading the DailyMail and other places with an anti-London agenda.

There is an increasing crime problem in London, much of it goes unreported as it is considered a low-level crime - homicides may have dropped but that's not the only crime. 

Only last week police raided a house in Brockley where they found hundreds of stolen phones - each one of those is a crime. You can often see the kids on bikes circling Lordship Lane looking for victims and I presume this house was where their hauls were ending up.

https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/24028188.hundreds-stolen-phones-found-police-brockley-raid/

Perhaps the raid mentioned by the OP had something to do with the drugs raids they were doing in Clapham last week?

https://twitter.com/LambethMPS/status/1747241087314411653?t=VYDNllZoQR5-HZbqCd161A&s=19

Edited by Rockets

1 hour ago, Rockets said:

There is an increasing crime problem in London, much of it goes unreported

Reported crime statistics are generally a good indicator of the change in incidence of crimes, even if - for obvious reasons - they do not map to the actual incidence.

But in any case you can always refer to the British Crime Survey, which isn't calculated on the basis of reported crime.