Mugging in Gallery Rd last night.

Just a heads up...

My teenaged son and five of his friends were relieved of their phones at the end of Gallery Rd near the Gallery car park by three other youths around 11 last night as they were returning from skating in Belair.

Fortunately there was no violence and the lads handed over without resistance just in case. The police were called in Pizza Express and turned up quickly. There isn't much that can be done, but phones were blocked immediately to render them useless.

The only good part is that at least this is the first time this has happened to my son in 17 years, which by most accounts isn't bad.

Gah...

What TT said. Most normal people are not used to fighting, and generally try to avoid violence or confrontation. It can be really intimidating when an obvious nutter gets aggressive - even if you outnumber them. I'm sure the boys are frustrated and might wonder what would have happened if they'd stood their ground, but honestly the way they responded was quite natural. Better giving up a phone than taking a kicking (or worse).

I would be interested in the OP's reply. I know of several young offenders who targeted 'private school kid types'* in and around the Village who are 'easy targets' and are viewed as not street wise and easily intimidated. They see this as not only a quick way of getting cash, but also 'a laugh'. Purely opportunistic theft with no aggression or weapons or any violence who simply demanded the phones (even on the school busses) and got them. Just like that. I know one victim who was targeted 4 times and each time handed them over. When asked what they would have done if the victim/s had stood their ground, running was the unanimous response by the perpetrators. *direct quotes.

Law of the jungle. If someone threatens you ... stand your ground ... silently or vocally depends on your style .... you would be amazed at how many back down.... but there is always the odd lunatic who will want a fight. You can normally tell who they are from the outset.... its in the eyes !!!

6 vs 3 ????

.... when the kids dont buy the iphones for themselves and know they'll get another one bought for them ... it sort of takes the fighting spirit out of the soul !

What's the point of posting this? Are you advocating assertiveness training for 'private school kid types'* to stop them being such passive victims, or education (perhaps telepathy) in making a snap assessment as to whether someone is asking for your phone with "no aggression" or is about to knock you to the pavement.

At the moment, it's got a whiff of blame the victim (4 times? LOLS) which I'm sure is not your aim.

stacey-lyn Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I would be interested in the OP's reply. I know of

> several young offenders who targeted 'private

> school kid types'* in and around the Village who

> are 'easy targets' and are viewed as not street

> wise and easily intimidated. They see this as not

> only a quick way of getting cash, but also 'a

> laugh'. Purely opportunistic theft with no

> aggression or weapons or any violence who simply

> demanded the phones (even on the school busses)

> and got them. Just like that. I know one victim

> who was targeted 4 times and each time handed them

> over. When asked what they would have done if the

> victim/s had stood their ground, running was the

> unanimous response by the perpetrators. *direct

> quotes.

parents buying there kids all the latest mod con ipads iphones etc etc the list is endless dont get me wrong i hate SCUMBAG THEIFS but use some common sense look at where we live ..did you know you can look on the for sale forums and pick a cheap not so modern tempting fone up

Please dont take this the wrong way as each person is different and todays society seems somewhat softer but take your son to martial arts or boxing.

Theres nothing wrong with the controled aggresion. Also an idiot with a knife is an easy opponent if you know how to disarm and disble them. I agree with the take on the law of the jungle but remember you need to know how to defend yourself with skill and thought rather than windmilling and throwing breeze blocks.

At 6 on 3 In my teens Id have them running to their mummies minus shoes and pants complete with broken noses.

I do think that learning a martial art is a positive thing (fitness, confidence, self defence, etc) but let's not kid ourselves that it's a sure fire way to kick all sort of butt. Suggesting that someone with a knife is an easy opponent is foolishly naive and could get you into all sorts of trouble.

Law of the jungle... in Dulwich Village... whatever.

Just buy the kid a ?100 phone.

Getting good at fighting takes practice, unfortunately - and how often those revelling in the 'learning how to looking after yourself' route coincidentally turn-out to be the ones who want smash your face in at 2am because you looked at them a bit funny in the kebab shop.

Hopefully I'll never be in such a situation - but if I should, 'disarming an easy opponent' will be near the bottom of my list of best options.

In all seriousness though, if there is a problem with mobile theft in the Dulwich Village area then the SNT should be responding to that. Targetted camapigns have been used in other places where young people gather and robberies have occurred with good effectiveness, and often leading to arrests.

Thanks for the replies - useful or otherwise.

My son is tall, very strong and is mostly upset about the fact that he was violated. He wanted to take them on given the odds but didn't in case of them being armed, which the perps may or may not have been. The lads are a civilised bunch and simply not in the world of intimidation and fighting - and why should they be?

I don't think phones were on show at the time, but granted there are plenty of people in our area who may be preyed upon for their possessions by those in unfortunate circumstances who think nothing of it.

Also, re: martial arts - a friend of mine was a black belt in judo, but that didn't mean he was willing to fight the nutter who chased him in a car and beat him badly, breaking his arm. You don't need martial arts to fight someone - that is a state of mind, and one that I don't really encourage, to be honest.

mlteenie Wrote:

> Thanks for the replies - useful or otherwise.

>

> My son is tall, very strong and is mostly upset

> about the fact that he was violated. He wanted to

> take them on given the odds but didn't in case of

> them being armed, which the perps may or may not

> have been. The lads are a civilised bunch and

> simply not in the world of intimidation and

> fighting - and why should they be?

>

> I don't think phones were on show at the time, but

> granted there are plenty of people in our area who

> may be preyed upon for their possessions by those

> in unfortunate circumstances who think nothing of

> it.

>

> Also, re: martial arts - a friend of mine was a

> black belt in judo, but that didn't mean he was

> willing to fight the nutter who chased him in a

> car and beat him badly, breaking his arm. You

> don't need martial arts to fight someone - that is

> a state of mind, and one that I don't really

> encourage, to be honest.

Here Here. A lot of nonsense being posted about how they should have 'fought back'. The target of everyone's rage should be those who feel it's acceptable to take something from another person, sport or otherwise.

Possessions are easily replaced. I would not want to lose a family member or friend over any material possession, and it can happen from situations that initially seem unthreatening. The boys did the right thing - let the police do their job.

Are phones of any value once switched off remotely?

mlteenie Wrote:

The cops

> said they know a stall at E&C market where stolen

> phones are sold.

xxxxxx

So why aren't they doing anything about it then?!!