British Gas Electricity Meter Inspection

Quick question, just had a guy knock on the door saying he wanted to do an electricity meter inspection on behalf of British Gas, think the company was GSC or similar. No identity card or anything, however I vaguely remember something from these guys in the past, so possibly legit.

He was lucky to get me at home, but when I told him it would be a big task for me to unpack everything from under the stairs and I didn't have time he said that it was required by law. I think there is some requirement for meters to be checked for problems or tampering, but just wondered what the implications were if they didn't see it?

I asked whether they worked weekends and he said he doesn't personally, so if it wasn't for pure fluke that I'm at home at the moment writing a dissertation, and they don't pre-arrange times with you, how do they ever get to see these meters? I'd need advance warning to clear access to it as need help from my husband to move heavy items.

Another thing was that I was a little worried about just letting some random into the house, presume if I had let him in he would have had to produce some ID first?

Just thought I'd find out what people knew about this (couldn't find anything on British Gas website about them).

Thanks

From the British Gas website:

<<

Before visiting your home, our representatives usually make an appointment but meter readers or meter operators may call without prior arrangement. If someone unexpected calls, remember ?Lock, Stop, Chain, Check? (see page 10 for more details).

All our meter reading agents carry an ID card, giving a freephone helpline number so you can confirm their identity. Never feel embarrassed to phone us to confirm that a representative is genuine. A British Gas representative expects this and is happy for you to check.

By following a few simple guidelines, you can help protect yourself and your home. Before you open the door to anyone, remember:

1 Lock

2 Stop

3 Chain

4 Check

Make sure all outer doors are locked.

Stop and think ? are you expecting anybody?

Before opening the door, always put the door chain on and look out of the window or spy hole to see who is calling.

Make sure you check their identification ? don?t be afraid to phone the company or organisation the caller says they are from to check their validity (obtaining the number from an independent source, rather than taking it from the caller?s ID card).<<<

We were with British Gas for 3 years and never had them make an appointment. We did have several unannounced visits, but they always gave their ID upfront.

But just to add, you don't have to let someone in your house, even if s/he does have ID (could be fake - how would you know?). You can always request an appointment.

Err, the only time you have to let someone into your house is if they're accompanied by uniformed police officers and have a warrant.

Always ask for ID, then phone up the company they purport to be from (using a phone number you look up yourself). All utility companies carry ID, it's mandatory.

Sadly, there always have been and always will be con-artists around.

Finally, it would be Transco who inspect the meters, not British Gas..

It is G4S that have the contract to read British Gas meters - Transco maintain the pipework.

I had the same issue with having to clear out a cupboard on Monday. The meter reader gave an appointment for Tuesday afternoon and never turned up so I've sent a complaint to British Gas.