Thoughts on buying in Petworth house - major works planned?

Hi all!

I'm new to the forum and am really interested in buying a flat in Petworth house within the dog kennel hill estate. The flat would be ex local authority. The building looks fantastic and you get a lot of space within the flats. Since I'd be a first time buyer I was hoping to get some advice / thoughts from people on here.

I would be a leaseholder and a large concern of mine would be for any major works planned, as I've heard the bills can be huge. Does anyone who owns a flat within the dog kennel hill estate have information on how much they roughly pay for major works on average each year? And also if anyone is aware of any planned for the upcoming months/years? I hear there are surveys for the building safety act coming up?

I also had a question about renovations. I've heard that changes to the property have to be put forward to the council before doing them. Does this also concern cosmetic things? I.e. putting up shelves, changing carpets etc? It seems a bit crazy asking for permission for these things after paying for a property.

Thanks in advance for the help! I really appreciate it. All going well, hopefully see you soon!

Cheers! 

From what I have heard from other leaseholders in Southwark  bills  from £5000  to £30.000  depending on type of work. My old neighbour was in a conversion flat and paid £5000 for exterior painting including scaffolding costs and within 3 months most of the paint has worn off.

The bills are indeed often horrific. Can't help feeling that the books are highly cooked against the leaseholders' favour, meaning bills of 10,000s that the leaseholders have to pay. You'd be paying way above what's normal market value for the works whether they be new windows, utilities, upkeep of  communal areas, roofs and guttering, green space, carparks etc. The problem is you can't just pay for your eg. own new windows (which is typical for most leaseholders in purpose built developments) but do have to pay up for the figure on which Southwark agree with a contractor. (IMO tendering will likely involve bidding contractors each quoting very high sums, so difficult for you to argue against it.) On the plus side you're likely to be able to pay for works in instalments and pass on such dues to the next owner when you sell if you've not finished paying.

If you love the flat then get on and buy it, but take detailed written and verbal advice from your solicitor during the transaction. It's a good place to live, so good luck! 👍🏻