Proposed Development - The Sidings, Railway Rise, SE22

3 hours ago, Sue said:

I'm not particularly in favour of this proposal, but what is the evidence that there's "no demand for student housing around ED"?

Surely there's no demand for it because there presently isn't any?!

Students have to live somewhere, Kings is a teaching hospital (I think) as is the dental hospital (I think) plus East Dulwich has reasonable transport links into central London and this site is near both trains and several bus routes.

No demand because there are no universities in the area. There are however many schools and high demand for family homes.

King’s college already have student accommodation nearby… and by the way, it appears they are not full: hardly any activity / light at the champion hill student accommodation center ( from a person who lives next to it)

Students have to live somewhere but this simply does not make any sense

Student accommodation makes far more profit for the developers.   Southwark has a major housing problem 10,000 or more on waiting lists.  They should be concentrating on giving permission to builds that will help lower this.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TES said:

"there's actually huge demand for all housing. The failure over many years to build housing is pushing UK productivity down and exacerbating the cost of living crisis. Of course it's fine to have an opinion that a building is too big, or whatever, but at the end of the day we don't solve the housing crisis without building more houses. So it's either brownfield spots like this former warehouse, or it's densifying existing residential (i.e. knock down and rebuild), or it's building on greenfield. I struggle to see how London meets the housing needs of the next few decades without plans like this one."

I think that the concern is that originally in the Southwark Plan this site was earmarked for housing - and the expectation would be that affordable housing would be part of that given the size of the development.  This development has a derisory amount of housing and an even smaller absolute number of 'affordable homes' - again to purchase not for rental and they are being subsidised by the developer looking to build student accom for much higher £ per square m.

The concern from my perspective is that the development doesn't meet the need we have in this area for more family homes and in particular 'affordable housing - either to buy or rent' but does add a large amount of accommodation for which there is no clear need locally.  Once this is built as individual student rooms that land and possibility of suitable accommodation will be gone forever. There aren't many sites locally where a significant impact could be made in building new homes and this is one of the last few!

There is a separate and related point on infrastructure in terms of 400 students needing to register with a dr for example.  All reports on Tessa Jowell health centre seem to indicate it can't cope with current levels so an influx of 400 individual students is going to increase pressure there.  The trains from East Dulwich still haven't returned to precovid frequency and given the narrative that students will travel to uni sites elsewhere  the capacity isn't there at peak times.. 

I don't know about demand personally, but imagine the developer will have done some assessment of this. It's not in their interests to build student accommodation that then remains unoccupied. There are several universities relatively close by, including a massive teaching hospital in Camberwell, the Camberwell College of Arts, the IoPPN / KCL's Denmark Hill campus, plus Goldsmiths not too far away. 

I also worry about the trains being pretty overcrowded and unreliable, but think that's probably a more general issue that needs addressing. If it's targeted mainly at students from Camberwell, the train isn't really that relevant (at least for getting to / from university).

Edited by Earl Aelfheah
  • Agree 1

I imagine they will have enough data that they can get demand for it and fill it - but the issues about the impact more broadly - costs of waste collection, street cleaning, healthcare etc plus transport with zero uplift in council tax to pay for any of it is a concern.   The only winner here would be the developer who would make huge amounts of money from the site leaving Southwark and ultimately  local residents with the costs.