water con man

A man just came to my door saying he was from Thames Water and that he believes we have a leak. I was immediately suspicious and did not let him in. He asked me to turn off the water at the stop cock until the cold water stopped running, which I did and he remained in the street looking into our water meter. He then said that meter was still running so we must have a leak and grinned at me. I did not believe him and said I was going to call Thames Water and check with them. Thames Water knew of no such man so I went to the door to send him away just as he put through a Thames Water card which says " We think you have a leak" with a reference number and information about how the pipe from the road to the house is the customer's responsibility and that failing to respond could result in them using legal powers... It said he was a contractor from PN Daly and Thames Water do use PN Daly. However his van was completely un branded and the reference code he has given me means nothing to Thames Water. Whilst outside my house he received a call from a lady in Crystal Palace Road who was also asking him why he needs access to her kitchen.

So - I believe he is a conman. Think twice before believing him.

I called Thames over a very similar incident.

Unfortunately, it turned out that we did have a leak. A tiny leak. And that tiny leak cost us ?500.

Have a look on the pavement outside your house for any signs of paint sprayed.. Usually an arrow pointing to you or to the street. If e arrow points to you it's bad news.

I think any further feedback will be very welcome. At the moment I can't tell whether it's a case of a genuine contractor and inadequate information systems, or a pretty sophisticated con, from someone with probable inside knowledge.

He has painted a blue arrow pointing towards the house. I have since called Thames Water billing and asked if they thought our water bill was high and she said that we seemed to be using very little water given that there are two of us in the house. Also, I dug the front garden last Saturday and the ground there was bone dry. I am still struggling to believe that this man was genuine.

Thames are always sending 'unidentified' people and companies to do stuff. The blokes with the listening rods creep round (usually at night, when it's quiet) hanging around drains with thei ear trumpets like some sort of deluded drain-spotters.

They employ private companies who knock on your door on spec and ask to 'have a look' down yer sewer with no warning or formal communication from Thames.

Every looks really dodgy when there's no need for it to be so..

The blue arrow of doom!

Sorry to say Cosmos that it would appear they've identified a supply pipe leak, and the leak is thought to be on your side (so your responsibility) rather than Thames.

It's pointless looking for signs of obvious dampness.. The 'leak' can be minuscule and still classed as a leak. Even a drip, somewhere along the pipe, is still a leak.

I have just called them and, yes, this is how Thames Water operate. They are sending another man to investigate the leak. Sorry everyone for the false alarm. I did however tell them that this "cold calling" approach is disconcerting.

They listen for the sound of running water - they go round at night, often, not just because it's a quieter time (to hear the water) but because you are much less likely to have a tap running at night. For those without meters (most of us, at the moment) there would be no way of examining water consumption anyway.

Supply pipes in ED are pretty old, and road humps (and things bumping over them) can put stress on the pipes, particularly at joints. In 25 years I have had 2 supply pipe leaks - the first paid for by Thames as part of a deal, the second covered by supply pipe insurance - but Thames also paid an element of the cost. The second was in the joint from my supply side into the pavement stop cock - the first a pin-hole puncture in the (lead) pipe as it entered the house through the foundations. The second leak was a moot point as to responsibility - it was at the tenement/ pavement junction - not clear whether it was on my land or the public way. Neither leak gave any surface indication (and yes, I did see them,and they were certainly there as leaks, just not surface evident - which isn't surprising as pipes can be 4-6 ft down).

cosmos Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> He has painted a blue arrow pointing towards the

> house.

x x x x x x x x x x x x x

Ooer. You'd better call the rozzers back and tell them to stop thinking about taking a bus from camberwell to east dulwich next week in order to prevent and detect crime. Or maybe they won't bother anyway. However, what if the crims are getting smart and now carry blue spray paint for arrows as a ruse . . . ?

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> Unfortunately, it turned out that we did have a

> leak. A tiny leak. And that tiny leak cost us

> ?500.

>

>

xxxxxxx

OMG is this why Thames Water are constantly sending me stuff about insurance, which I constantly bin (sorry, recycle)?

Maybe I'll read it next time :))