Found cat on Barry Road

Tony23

Have you checked with a vet to see if it  is chipped?

I'm wondering what a "lost" cat looks like.

Good on you for moving it out of the road, but is there any reason why you didn't just put it onto the pavement?

It must be very confused now! 

Ok I'll put the cat back in the middle of the road where I found it.

JOKE,

So, the cat was walking down the middle of Barry Road at about 11pm, when me and my wife crossed the road the cat started following us until we got to Ulverscroft road. I started walking back and the cat turned and followed me,,,,,? (Does this qualify)?

I know what a lost cat looks like.

The only reason I'm not a catnapper, Is i couldn't afford all the vet bills, food and kitty litter. (And toys).

I will take the cat to get scanned when I'm done dieing of this chest infection.

And I don't know' what if the owner/s don't use the forum...?

Well I guess I'll have to walk up and down with the cat in my hands until it recognises somewhere and jumps out of my hands and runs home....

Edited by Tony23

Cats quite often follow  us down the road  late at night. We don't take them in because "they're lost" !

I live in Ulverscroft Road.  Cats follow us to the doorstep.

How do you "know what a lost cat looks like"? The cat you have kidnapped looks healthy and well fed. Cats wander all over the place at night.

Poor cat 😭 And poor owners, who must be wondering where it is 😭

On 12/11/2023 at 17:19, Tony23 said:

Did you not read my post?

40 years of owning cats.

Please do not reply to this post unless you have any constructive or positive information about getting this beautiful cat back to its owners. 

THANK YOU 

All you have said about a cat which followed you was that it "looked lost."

This reminds me of someone on an online East Dulwich thread (unrelated to this forum) who posted a picture of Abbas, the cat from Really Maria's, sitting on the pavement outside the shop.

The person said this cat was upset by all the Lordship Lane traffic,  and did anyone know who the owner was.

Another person then said the cat was"obviously lost."

Luckily someone recognised this "obviously lost" cat as living where the photo was taken.

At least the original poster didn't take it home 🙄

I am in my seventies and have also owned and loved cats over the years .

I'm not sure how 40 years of owning cats qualifies you to know that  a cat out on the streets is "lost."

You have not said that the cat looked unwell or starving, which would be a different matter.

I hope the vet can help. 

I'm glad you are now "well enough to leave the house". I thought you were out of the house when the cat followed you and you took it home?

And please don't tell me what I can and can't post on this forum. I see you have only just joined it. I have been posting on here for nearly seventeen years.

Like you, I am concerned for the welfare of the cat.

Edited by Sue
Adding information
  • Like 1

On 13/11/2023 at 14:43, Sue said:

All you have said about a cat which followed you was that it "looked lost."

This reminds me of someone on an online East Dulwich thread (unrelated to this forum) who posted a picture of Abbas, the cat from Really Maria's, sitting on the pavement outside the shop.

The person said this cat was upset by all the Lordship Lane traffic,  and did anyone know who the owner was.

Another person then said the cat was"obviously lost."

Luckily someone recognised this "obviously lost" cat as living where the photo was taken.

At least the original poster didn't take it home 🙄

In that concerned passerbys defense, it was a stupidly irresponsible move on Maria's part to let her cat out on the streets of Lordship Lane. Let's not pretend Lordship Lane is a safe place for unsupervised animals to be hanging out at. You've lived in East Dulwich long enough to know just how many cats are run over.

23 minutes ago, TWB Cat Sitter said:

In that concerned passerbys defense, it was a stupidly irresponsible move on Maria's part to let her cat out on the streets of Lordship Lane. Let's not pretend Lordship Lane is a safe place for unsupervised animals to be hanging out at. You've lived in East Dulwich long enough to know just how many cats are run over.

The point I was making was that somebody  said that  the cat was "obviously lost" - which it wasn't.

I think it's  out of order to call Maria "stupidly irresponsible" on a public forum. You have no idea how her cat came to be there.

Most cats run over in East Dulwich are on the side roads, to the best of my knowledge. Possibly some cats  may wander "unsupervised" onto Lordship Lane. They may wander anywhere! 

Perhaps people living in London (or anywhere else there are cars - which is basically most places) shouldn't let their cats out at all?

7 hours ago, The Neighbourhood Vet said:

This cat has been reunited with its Owner 🙂

Thank you all and Tony

That's very good news! ❤️

I'm still wondering how far the cat was from its home when "found", and  how long it had been away from its home when "found"?

Sorry to labour the point, and I'm obviously delighted it is now back with its owner, but I am concerned that anybody now who comes across a cat at night, or who is followed by a cat at night, thinks it is the right thing to do to take it to their own house because it must be "lost".

• Like 1

So where did the cat live, Tony23?

How far was its home from Barry Road, where you first spotted it, and from Ulverscroft Road, where it followed you to?

And how long had it been away from its home when you took it back to yours?

I understand that you acted with the best of intentions.

However I am really concerned that anybody now coming across a cat wandering the local streets at night, or following them (both of which cats do) will assume it is lost and take it home.

If it turns out that this cat was unusually  far away from its home, and had been away from its home for more than a day when you came across it, and that its owners were worried about the length of time it was away (not  counting the time you kept it in your house)  because this was unusual behaviour for their cat,  I will send £20 to the RSPCA or Celia Hammond  (your choice) as an apology for my  unfounded concerns.

I do hope that you (or the vet. Or the cat's owner)  will respond, as my previous post above asking about this was apparently ignored.

Edited by Sue
Clarification and adding info

3 hours ago, tomskip said:

OMG leave the man alone!

I'm glad the cat was reunited with it's owner Tony and you may well have saved it from being run over. 

I'm not posting to have a go at him. I clearly said that I understood he was acting with the best of intentions!

I'm trying to ascertain what happened, to make a more general point,  to save other cats in the future from being unnecessarily assumed to be "lost" , if that was what happened in this case, which it seems I am quite unable to find out 🙄

And as it happens I have twice myself taken cats in who turned out to have owners.

In one case I was told by builders that a cat howling outside a house  had been deserted by its owners who moved house without taking it with them. 

It turned out that that was true, but what the builders didn't know was that somebody at the other end of the street had subsequently taken the cat in. I only found out when I saw a poster on a tree in that street  a couple of days later with a photo of the cat, saying that it was missing.

Obviously I returned the cat immediately to its new owner.

In the other case, a very thin, mangy and unsteady on its feet cat started coming into my garden and my house, and wolfing down food when it was offered.

After a few weeks of this, I took it to Celia Hammond, who subsequently contacted me to say that the cat did have an owner, and that the cat was ill rather than a stray. 

These are quite different situations to just taking a random cat encountered in the street home!

But it looks like my questions aren't going to be answered.

What are your thoughts on this, TWB cat-sitter, as a "professional" working with cats? Do you take home every cat you see wandering the streets at night? You seem to have changed your forum name.

Edited by Sue
Adding information

• 4 weeks later...