Anyone got moths in ED?

Pheromone traps really worked - I had loads of moths. When I lived in Camberwell - think they came in a bag of pet food. I ordered the pheromone traps fom an agricultural supplier on the internet. I can't remember which one, sorry. But they seemed relatively easy to get hold of.

I only realised recently that shops selling new clothes sometimes have moths and you can bring them home with your new garments, not just second hand; so check for holes when buying! Vacuuming wardrobes/drawers is effective. I also put cedar blocks/balls in drawers. Also. not all moths are devourers of of clothes etc. (actually I think it's the larvae)

We have been fortunate not to have any holes in clothes but our carpets are getting very thread bare from the larvae munching their way through them. Getting rid of the carpets and replacing with wooden floors in all rooms now as we don't notice them in the rooms where we don't have carpets

This is our third year with them. We've used the pheromone traps to catch the males from the beginning. This reduces the number of moths we see but doesn't completely eradicate them and the carpets are still disappearing

We've got the meal moths. I hate them, hate them with a passion. we've really tried everything to the point where we actually hardly keep any food in the house, but the bastards are getting some nourishment as they keep circling my head when I'm watching telly. At least I haven't seen any larvae in a while (they crawl all over the ceiling).

Stargazer, I've found they have a little trick: they lay their larvae inside the external folds of sealed packets. You may well think the packets of food (rice, couscous) are fine and they are. And then you think: where are these damned creatures coming from? Examine the closed packets and boxes closely, and you may find a little creature in the packet folds. It only takes one...

I live in an old house in ED and thankfully don't have a problem with moths(so far) what i do have however is lots of spiders and spiders webs. Not really being one for using the feather duster and geting rid of them on a regular basis i wondered if this might be the answer to the moth problem. Get some spiders and let them catch the moths.

OMG I made the mistake of reading this thread, I hate moths due obviously to some deep-seated childhood trauma, possibly connected with silk moths which I was once forced to rear in the cardboard lid of a Tidy Box, and now I have visions of very horrible things. The jar thing was particularly horrible. Thanks.

:))

• 11 months later...

Sue Wrote (May 2008):

-------------------------------------------------------

> OMG I've never had them before, and I use

> cedarwood blocks (which are supposed to be a moth

> deterrent) in my wardrobe, but the other day one

> flew out of a hamper where I'd stored some

> jumpers.

>

> Is this the start of an invasion ??????

> :-S

xxxxxxxx

OMG it was.

They're eating my cushions. They're eating my wallhangings. All my lovely things I brought back from Rajasthan, they're munching bit by bit.

I've only just noticed huge gaps where there used to be wool.

How can I get a double bedspread size wallhanging into my (chest) freezer?!?!?!

Anyone got moths that prefer teeshirts to jumpers? I thought I had erradicated them last year with hoovering and cedar blocks, but the holes are appearing again in anything teeshirtlike, more so when they have a stretchy element to them. Never see moths though...Help!

100. I think I'd find it a bit odd to discover ladybirds inside - I never knew they liked to be indoors sometimes. As for moths - blooming things and why do they always do it to your favourite clothes. I'm going to have a check on all my stored away stuff tonight to see if the blighters have got in.