Problems With King’s Hospital

JWilliams

5 hours ago, JWilliams said:

I am a journalist writing about a recent change in London hospital patient record systems. Has anyone had any problems with referrals or appointments at King’s or Guy’s hospital in the last week?

Are you looking to expose what might be teething problems or trying to undermine a new it solution ? 

Personally I have found it great, it allows me to see appointments via an App (mychart) and managed to see when an appointment had been incorrectly entered thus allowing me to get it corrected and saved a no show event.

New systems will always have early glitches but its better than the old system that's for sure 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JWilliams said:

I’m simply writing a balanced article focusing on why it’s necessary and good but is facing a few teething problems.

Then maybe consider changing the title to remove problems as that gives the wrong impression if you want a balanced article and information 

Edited by Spartacus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

You are sounding like you are proactively looking for problems.  There are current problems because the consultants tell me that they are having to book fewer appointments while the system sets in and everyone learns to use it.  I am a patient at three different hospital trusts.  The first MyChart use was set up by one in the north, and it and the other two do not link up with one another which is a bit annoying since they would all be useful to one another.  However - and I have already reported this to the MyChart techies - when results are posted on our apps this can be really problematic. Whilst they have promised NOT to post positive tests for cancer (how thoughtful), they are putting on results of tests for other things which can and for me DO still cause massive concern.  One can ask the hospitals not to post the tests  results on the App.  So far, no one is doing this for me.  It's a concern because you have to wait the lengthier time for your next consultation to discuss the very worrying test results.  And don't tell me not to look at them when they come through.  The other problem is, what about the digitally excluded?  Here's another problem you may want to focus your reporting skills on.  The private company that runs the phlebtomy departments of all the hospitals associated with Kings College Hospital, and the fact we now have to register with that separate company, and we can't phone them for appointments, and it is really made hard for digitally excluded older people and younger ones who can't use it, too.  Report on that please.

2 minutes ago, malumbu said:

I've always found Kings College Hospital fine. It's a bit of a warren but what does that matter.  I don't know anything about Kings Hospital.  

Yes, it doesn't say much for JWilliams' journalistic skills that he can't even get the name of the hospital right, does it? 🙄

• Haha 1

"King's" for "King's College" is common, so for those who want to use a short, familiar form, I think its use for the hospital too would come fairly easily.  I can't remember what I use myself, but in informal conversation, with people who shared the local knowledge, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find myself choosing it rather than the didactic and formal full form, or to hear it from those I was speaking with.  Cf too this from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King's_College_Hospital:

"King's College Hospital is a major teaching hospital and major trauma centre in Denmark Hill, Camberwell in the London Borough of Lambeth, referred to locally and by staff simply as "King's""

PS I'd scrolled back just as far as the message so hadn't noticed the title's "King's Hospital", which I'm not keen on but not aghast at: I'm not sure that it demonstrates an ignorance of the full name.  Plain "King's"  might have done, or "King's (Hospital) at a pinch".  "KCH"  might be an acceptable  blend of familiarity and  exactness.  Otherwise I think the writer is lumbered with having to use the fuil three word form, which is itself perhaps rather overserious and clunky. 

The title "Problems with King's ...", with its hint of possibly serious institutional faults, is another matter.  The message itelf unexceptionably  asks whether there are  any patients who may have recently had "problems with referrals or appointments".  Copying the "problems with" into the title  was not, I think,  a good idea.

Edited by ianr
PS

11 hours ago, ianr said:

"King's" for "King's College" is common, so for those who want to use a short, familiar form, I think its use for the hospital too would come fairly easily.  I can't remember what I use myself, but in informal conversation, with people who shared the local knowledge, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find myself choosing it rather than the didactic and formal full form, or to hear it from those I was speaking with.  Cf too this from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King's_College_Hospital:

"King's College Hospital is a major teaching hospital and major trauma centre in Denmark Hill, Camberwell in the London Borough of Lambeth, referred to locally and by staff simply as "King's""

PS I'd scrolled back just as far as the message so hadn't noticed the title's "King's Hospital", which I'm not keen on but not aghast at: I'm not sure that it demonstrates an ignorance of the full name.  Plain "King's"  might have done, or "King's (Hospital) at a pinch".  "KCH"  might be an acceptable  blend of familiarity and  exactness.  Otherwise I think the writer is lumbered with having to use the fuil three word form, which is itself perhaps rather overserious and clunky. 

The title "Problems with King's ...", with its hint of possibly serious institutional faults, is another matter.  The message itelf unexceptionably  asks whether there are  any patients who may have recently had "problems with referrals or appointments".  Copying the "problems with" into the title  was not, I think,  a good idea.

Hi ianr, Indeed the full title is King's College Hospital Foundation Trust which is just plain nuts. One is expected to write that on cheques, yes, cheques, when paying for dental treatment at their outreach clinics!

Semantics but it is not good journalism to use Kings Hospital and suggest that the original poster ain't be from these parts (said in some Victorian rural accent).  Yes we all say Kings when we are talking to friends and it obviously about a medical matter.  Otherwise KCH or the first three words in full.

• Like 1

I recently was referred by my GP for an urgent investigation and I was given the option by my GP (who is in lewisham ) to choose which hospital I attended.

I opted for Kings over lewisham. they were terrific phoned me when they said they would and got me in on a strike day to do the investigation (within a week of referral)

I cannot fault them.

I received written reports as to findings in a timely manner and am actually very happy with the way they handled everything.

Hubby needed a hip replacement and was sent a letter asking him if he wanted an appointment at Kings or as a NHS patient at Blackheath Hospital. We chose Blackheath. Within a couple of months had an initial consultation where it was mutually agreed that hubby did not need op at that time. Was recalled 6 months later in April 23 and given operation date for May. Unfortunately pre assessment showed concerns re heart rate which needed clarification by a cardiologist, This took some months and was given new date in November. Last week we were advised that a cancellation had occurred and new date for 24th October given.

Kings also does orthopaedic surgery at Orpington Hospital , it is a much smaller hospital, reasonable size car park and waiting list is not as long.

The new MyChart system is linked to Guys and St Thomas’s as well.  When they migrated previous records over,  my next of kin was completely wrong with a sole incorrect name and no address or phone contacts.  This was despite me checking my details over a month or so previously with a member of staff there.   There was also a paucity of information regarding health information.

I do feel very sorry for any people who aren’t computer literate/don’t have one. .  Not everyone has someone to ask for help.  From what I gathered, if no one can help you, then you have to make a specific trip into the hospital to get a member of staff to sit down with you in order to go through a pre-op assessment for example.