Swapping GP practice - any recommendations (eg Tessa Jowell centre?)

Naiada

I finally got to see a real life GP (after calling 111 & being referred to the Tessa Jowell centre as my own practice didn’t respond)

When I told the GP who my current practice is and all the problems I’ve had, they didn’t seem surprised & suggested I swap to Tessa Jowell but before I do, I wanted to see if anyone would  a) recommend Tessa Jowell b) recommend another practice? I realise all practices are under great pressure so are all going to be less than perfect but they can’t be worse than my current one which shall remain nameless! 

Thanks for any positive / negative reviews on any local surgeries.

I think there's always going to be good and bad experiences with whichever surgery you sign up to.  Some people will share amazingly positive experiences and some will share terrible ones on the same place.  

Tessa Jowell is ok but nothing amazing.  It's the typical surgery where getting past a receptionist that is always the battle.

I have tried three practices in the three decades I've lived here, and I've found my current one (The Gardens) to be the best of the three.

However obviously you need to be in the catchment area of the practice you would ideally like to move to.

Is there any reason why you won't name the practice you are moving from? It might be helpful for other people?

Forget tessa jowell they are useless!

I have been waiting for my son to be seen since last year October when I took him to a&e for breathing difficulties!

inbetween I have made a few attempts to make appointments, various reasons why he hasn’t still been seen. Mostly due to their strict policies since covid!

they basically call you back when they feel like, even after telling them you’re working & can’t answer! They’ll call a day or 2 later.

if you don’t use their online service (which I don’t ) you must call in at 8am for a callback…….

the whole system is unjust 🤬

I have spoken to CQC, they are also not interested like they used to be!

it’s all a complete shambles!

my niece works in many different gp practices/sites in her line of work, she has also told me some drs are lazy & will refuse to see patients with no appointments booked! She once saw 2 different patients on different dates whom she had to refer to a&e as they were ill……  one was elderly!

(she saw them after her shift finished as she could see one was elderly, I’m not sure about the other!)

5 hours ago, sweetgirl said:

Forget tessa jowell they are useless!

I have been waiting for my son to be seen since last year October when I took him to a&e for breathing difficulties!

inbetween I have made a few attempts to make appointments, various reasons why he hasn’t still been seen. Mostly due to their strict policies since covid!

they basically call you back when they feel like, even after telling them you’re working & can’t answer! They’ll call a day or 2 later.

if you don’t use their online service (which I don’t ) you must call in at 8am for a callback…….

the whole system is unjust 🤬

I have spoken to CQC, they are also not interested like they used to be!

it’s all a complete shambles!

my niece works in many different gp practices/sites in her line of work, she has also told me some drs are lazy & will refuse to see patients with no appointments booked! She once saw 2 different patients on different dates whom she had to refer to a&e as they were ill……  one was elderly!

(she saw them after her shift finished as she could see one was elderly, I’m not sure about the other!)

So which GP would you recommend as an alternative based on your experiences with TJ then? That's what the original post is asking...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SpringTime said:

So which GP would you recommend as an alternative based on your experiences with TJ then? That's what the original post is asking...

The op also thanks for any positive or negatives reviews on any local surgeries!

thank you for your kind input. 

Unfortunately I’m in no position to recommend any other gp.

Edited by sweetgirl

I was with Dulwich Medical Centre, which were useless and you couldn't get an appointment nor your test results. 

I am now with Tessa Jowell and they are ok BUT you have to use their online system which is frustrating. 

They do phone triage calls with a DR which you have to wait for a call back from and they only call twice and if you miss it, that's it, I complained as I was called and then called again around 5 mins later (was in the shower) and they said I had missed the opportunity.  I suggested they change their protocols and if you don't answer the first time they leave 30 mins until calling again which I think they did listen too. 

Flu/covid jab booking all very simple via their text system. 

IMHO the entire country needs to review its GP systems as everyone having to use technology 

to get an appt when they are feeling unwell is just not fair.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, dds29 said:

Why do you think GPs in general are offering a much less affective service than in previous years? Let's say pre 2010?

Because they can? - In general locally the number of patients to GP have increased, as the number of full-time GPs have decreased. This has caused a problem, exacerbated by poorly implemented IT 'solutions' and very poor administration. Covid allowed local GPs to shut their doors and close-down personal contact doctoring; many chose to work from home at that time. They, like so many other workers are very reluctant to come back to work in the workplace, and since they work for themselves have no incentive to.