Noisy Party / Event in SE23 area, Saturday 23rd / Sunday 24th Sept

I beg to differ. In an urban area 5am is totally unacceptable. If everyone took the view that it is only once then, given the size of the population, that could be all night parties every week. What if people are ill or babies trying to sleep? If you want to party so loudly it is keeping others awake then go to a night club. 

Edited by first mate
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, first mate said:

I beg to differ. In an urban area 5am is totally unacceptable. If everyone took the view that it is only once then, given the size of the population, that could be all night parties every week. What if people are ill or babies trying to sleep? If you want to party so loudly it is keeping others awake then go to a night club. 

Nightclubs keep people up all night also .

People outside smoking and talking etc.

Partying till 5am is not usually planned.....they happen spontaneously when people are having a good time....

To be neighbourly its a good idea to let neighbours know that you are having a party in advance. Turn down the music after 12/1am and try to keep the noise down generally.   Residents can then try to make accommodations accordingly.  Seems a fair compromise provided it's not the same household having parties really often. ...most people don't anyway, its a lot of work....the host doesn't really relax till most of the guests have gone, so after 1am it's their time to party...... 

Edited by bodsier

But if everyone takes that view, that they are entitled to one night a year of keeping others awake all night in order to enjoy themselves, the overall effect will be more than just one night, won't it.

If neighbours take the time to alert others well in advance (weeks, not the day before) they are planning a loud, late party, at least others have options and can arrange to be away. But, to simply expect others to put up and shut up because someone wants their definition of fun is unreasonable. What if your impromptu "fun" coincides with someone feeling ill, shift work, many sleepless nights with a little one? Why do you feel switching off after 1pm is such a big ask?

• Like 2

it's not every day though is it. It's a relatively quiet area, but yes if you scale it up it could well be that every house in ED has a party that could mean several every day over the entire year.

yes - they could let neighbours know - why not ask them to do so next time they have a party. It would be a bit more proactive.

56 minutes ago, first mate said:

But if everyone takes that view, that they are entitled to one night a year of keeping others awake all night in order to enjoy themselves, the overall effect will be more than just one night, won't it.

If neighbours take the time to alert others well in advance (weeks, not the day before) they are planning a loud, late party, at least others have options and can arrange to be away. But, to simply expect others to put up and shut up because someone wants their definition of fun is unreasonable. What if your impromptu "fun" coincides with someone feeling ill, shift work, many sleepless nights with a little one? Why do you feel switching off after 1pm is such a big ask?

as previously mentioned...let people know well in advance so that those affected can look at options and if that isn't possible compromise made by the host...It doesn't have to be loud after 1am to be fun....it doesn't have to be drunken either....everyone's idea of fun doesn't necessarily look the same.... l think that's a fair compromise...

There isn't a law against partying ....there is for noise regulation ..aiming to keep well within the acceptable range is I think a fair compromise on the odd occasion.   We live in London.... I'm guessing you live in a quiet neighbourhood ...seems to be an occasional irritant rather than a regular one....

Edited by bodsier

My issue is solely with noise, not partying per se. People can party after 1am all they like, just so long as the noise does not keep me awake. Like you, I live in a noisy area.  As you indicate, the law is a about noise volume and is presumably based on what is generally held to be reasonable. In law switch off is much earlier. I think agreeing to stop noise that disturbs the sleep of others after 1pm is entirely reasonable.

Our neighbours invited us to their BBQ but we were already going out that evening.  When we got back event was in full swing with music in the garden. Still going at 1 am but with music turned down. Did not worry us, however a neighbour 6 doors down said they were kept awake most of the night with the noise and was surprised that we slept through it. It could be that their bedroom was at the back of house whereas ours is on the side. Some time ago there was a very noisy party a few doors down which woke us up and upon ringing the Noise Team, as soon as we said our address, advised that they had already received over 20 complaints from our street and neighbouring streets.

Many many years ago when I was a teenager living in Landells Road, the elderly lady across the street accosted me one Sunday morning to complain about the noisy party into the early hours by our neighbours. I had to tell her that it had not bothered the family at all as we were also at the party. Learnt from that our lovely neighbours had invited everyone either side to join them in celebrating - from that point in if we were having a potentially noisy do- make sure that many neighbours as possible are invited.  

• Like 1