lordship lane station

I know there've been some posts recently here about LL station. So just to point out that you can see Pissaro's painting of LL station at the recently opened Art in the Age of Steam show at the Walker Gallery in Liverpool. This was apparently the earliest known painting with a rail theme by any of the Impressionists.

The painting shows the station surrounded by countryside.

Interesting painting but I am confused.

Am I right that the line ran along Brenchly gardens, behind Wood Vale and then crossed Lordship Lane with the station on the right hand side of LL if you were looking up the hill?

If so I can't quite work out where Lordship Lane is in this picture. Is it running down the painting from the station to the middle left hand side?

By the way I also find maps a bit tricky to all those who think it is perfectly obvious.

There's a map and lot of pictures here Lordship Lane Station. The line ran to the south-east of Wood Vale and crossed Lordship Lane where it becomes London Road. The station was situated to the west of Lordship Lane between Sydenham Hill and the site of the barracks that has recently been redeveloped for housing.

You can't see Lordship Lane itself on the painting. The row of lighter brown houses - about eight of them immediately to the left of the station on the painting are still standing on Wood Vale. It would appear that the reddy-brown building closer to the station in front of the lighter brown ones would have stood on Lordship Lane.

On a bridge. The line was on an embankment which ran beside Wood Vale. You can still see that part today which makes it clear that the track approached Lordship Lane in an elevated position and then passed over it.

Here's a picture. Must be a view from London Road looking northwards with the Horniman walls in the foreground to the right:

http://www.ideal-homes.org.uk/images/southwark/dulwich/lordship-lane-station-00635-640.jpg

Looking at the links and photos posted here it seems there was also an Honor Oak station (different to Honor Oak Park) which sat at the junction of Woodvale and Forest Hill Road and was the preceding stop to Lordship Lane.

Any photos of that station?

Do you think if the line had been left in place it would currently be viable? It would mean 2 extra stations serving the south of East Dulwich connecting us to London Bridge and in the other direction West Dulwich(ish) & Crystal Palace.

My thoughts are that it would have saved me many a trip round the South Circular.