Cycling on Green dale for school run - safe or not?

Suggsy

Wondering if Green dale is safe for kids to cycle? I see a number of commuter cyclists coming up greendale towards Champion Hill but very few children heading down towards the Village. I'd read that muggings were a problem in the past on Green dale and wondering if that's still the case eg when it's darker after school. For anyone who uses it regularly, would it be better to cut through the estate and meet Green dale at the mid point? Insights appreciated, ta. 

It's good, lots of kids at Bessemer Grange school walk and cycle.  Those on faster rides don't wake up in the morning think "let's cycle into a child today'

Bessemer Grange is also brilliant at getting their kids trained.  Everyone should get themselves a free cycle lesson.  It's all about sharing the road and reducing hazards 

Thanks Malumbu but as per my OP I'm really interested in safety from the POV of muggings rather than if my kid will be safe from other cyclists (!). Bessemer Grange not relevant to my situation, FYI. Ta

4 minutes ago, sunbob said:

I regularly walk along the Greendale; the footpath between there and Sainsbury's; and the AstroTurf/park and always feel safe. That's just me though.

Thanks Sunbob, that's good to hear

I used this as my commute for a few years, returning in the dark in winter and in the occasional post work trip to the pub.  Never had any issues or saw anything untoward.  Yes I expect from time to time there is some bother but hopefully not frequently enough not to use the route.

I think with Greendale - most of the time its safe, sometimes there are reports of undesirables - generally on the top section where it turns into small paths with bike muggings etc having taken place in the past.  Its probably happened a handful of times in all the years I've been on this forum and heard about it - but its enough to put me off letting my kids cycle on there alone at night once it starts to be darker - eg if they're doing after school clubs.     The stupid barriers on the path between Sainsburys and Greendale are also unhelpful from a safety perspective.  If there is a reasonable alternative might be one to consider - my son cycles via Greendale in the morning, but back via an alternative route mostly - this seems to work.  Plus towards the village is faster as downhill so feels safer!

There  was some CGS funding agreed last year to work on Greendale safety further, but nothing at all has happened since it was granted - the council has a backlog on these projects and they're seemingly not being delivered. 

59 minutes ago, northernmonkey said:

I think with Greendale - most of the time its safe, sometimes there are reports of undesirables - generally on the top section where it turns into small paths with bike muggings etc having taken place in the past.  Its probably happened a handful of times in all the years I've been on this forum and heard about it - but its enough to put me off letting my kids cycle on there alone at night once it starts to be darker - eg if they're doing after school clubs.     The stupid barriers on the path between Sainsburys and Greendale are also unhelpful from a safety perspective.  If there is a reasonable alternative might be one to consider - my son cycles via Greendale in the morning, but back via an alternative route mostly - this seems to work.  Plus towards the village is faster as downhill so feels safer!

There  was some CGS funding agreed last year to work on Greendale safety further, but nothing at all has happened since it was granted - the council has a backlog on these projects and they're seemingly not being delivered. 

top insight, thank you northernmonkey

OP: see if your kids' school has a Safer Routes to School parent rep or teacher rep. They may be able to advise you.

I take it you're worried about secondary school kids going on their own? There does tend to be a spate of robberies of schoolkids (by other schoolkids, mostly) each September and October in Dulwich. Anecdotally, each time it's a different group of 4-5 kids that think they've worked out a great scam, so they do it a few times and then they get caught.

Riding on Greendale will be safer and healthier than riding on the main roads or taking the bus, so I wouldn't stop my kids riding there. But of course every parent has to make their own decision.

Yes there are robberies there: Someone tried to rob someone I know of her Brompton on the path between Greendale and Sainsbury's/Dulwich Hamlet earlier this year.

The officer who dealt with the case said it wasn't the first. No one was arrested.

There doesn't appear to be good enough CCTV there and it gets much quieter when the nights draw in.

22 hours ago, Dogkennelhillbilly said:

OP: see if your kids' school has a Safer Routes to School parent rep or teacher rep. They may be able to advise you.

I take it you're worried about secondary school kids going on their own? There does tend to be a spate of robberies of schoolkids (by other schoolkids, mostly) each September and October in Dulwich. Anecdotally, each time it's a different group of 4-5 kids that think they've worked out a great scam, so they do it a few times and then they get caught.

Riding on Greendale will be safer and healthier than riding on the main roads or taking the bus, so I wouldn't stop my kids riding there. But of course every parent has to make their own decision.

Yeah. Secondary. We'll be using this route as renting for 6 months during building work. I'm not convinced the risk - that has been quite well outlined on this thread, esp in darker months of Oct / Nov / Dec after school - is worth it. Will look at alts

16 hours ago, alice said:

Why not use the Metropolitan crime map you can look up any months in the last few years, and find out what kind of crimes went on along that route. I did a random search, but I couldn’t find anything along Greendale itself. 

Cheers will do - though I guess not every incident will be reported if it's child on child

16 hours ago, Beulah said:

Yes there are robberies there: Someone tried to rob someone I know of her Brompton on the path between Greendale and Sainsbury's/Dulwich Hamlet earlier this year.

The officer who dealt with the case said it wasn't the first. No one was arrested.

There doesn't appear to be good enough CCTV there and it gets much quieter when the nights draw in.

Thanks - I'd heard of similar too, basically someone pushing a cyclist over

17 hours ago, BeatrixPaddler said:

Greendale used to be part of my regular cycle route, but I would never use it after dark.  I have a woman’s innate suspicion of quiet back routes and I never cycle after dark on a path I wouldn’t be happy to walk on. Far safer to stick to main roads where there are plenty of people about. 

My wife says same

We've seen a big increase in muggings on Greendale and the surrounding roads. I stopped feeling safe walking through there with my children and would never walk through there holding my phone. A real shame as it is a good cut through. Even in the middle of the day I have witnessed teenagers and young people circling wearing balaclavas looking for unsuspecting victims. We have seen a real rise in antisocial behaviour around there since the pandemic.