Any signs of World Vegetarian Week (19-25th May) in ED?

James Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Personally I find those who show empathy and

> respect for animals are far more courageous and

> intelligent than those who just brainlessly say

> "Yum! I like meat" without thinking about the

> consequences of their lifestyle.

Of course we know that vegetarians beat all comers in intelligence tests. Maybe a lifetime of consuming all those free radicals from rotting flesh just dulls the carnivorous brain. As we also live longer and healthier lives, we are bound to win out in the end.

One day, there will be veggie food chains on every corner. Meanwhile, only one type of Quorn slice for sale in Somerfield, the least popular one....why?

1. Eating vegetables with enthusiasm can help you get your end away.

2. If you get all get defensive about going to a vegetarian restaurant, you might be a homophobe, or perhaps a closet homosexual.

Right on both counts. You learn fast.

Brendan Wrote:

> I?ve never read such a load of rubbish. Everyone

> knows that eating steak gives you a big willy.

Are you sure they didn't say that eating stake makes you a big willy?

(This is now seriously off-beam, and it is only Tuesday of World Vegetarian Week. Contributions on or above the level of say, George Bernard Shaw, or Mahatma Gandhi are welcomed).

Any of you chaps (or girls for that matter) aware of the FACT that vegetarian women taste sweeter than meat eating ones?

I've been veggie since I was 7 (a while ago) and whilst it was originally due to a soppy, not wanting to kill likkle bitty animals, is now more of a lifestyle choice. I have no problem with people eating animals, food chain and all that, but as has been discussed here before is more to do do with factory farming etc etc etc. and health issues.

Someone mentioned here earlier - I'm sure tongue in cheek - 'pasty looking vegans', I am a pretty healthy specimen (hypochondria notwithstanding), as are my veggie kids.

Yes, but some of us were trying to discuss the topic of provision for vegetarians in SE22. There was a suggestion of a veggie evening at local restaurants. If you "lounge" something because a wrecker or wreckers with no actual interest in the subject decide to ignore the question the thread is asking, and instead use it as an outlet for their aggression, then you detract from the usefulness of the forum. In my humble opinion.

tongue in cheek? two meat references in three words, good going.

PCG - no slur on millwall intended, merely addressing a stereotype with a stereotype. Although, I assume there's not a great selection of veggie fair at the new den?

I feel for the Administrator, I really do.

Tomorrow let us hope for SE22(ish), vegetarian related, comments and information, and meanwhile hope that the carnivore-gremlins will have departed for non-SE22, carnivore-gremlin, thread, for discussion of points re non SE22, carnivore, related matters.

(Pictures Administrator desk, covered with range of Executive Stress gadgets).

I would be up for this but we would have to make sure they are willing to do Veggie no cheese/egg options as currently they only have asparagus which doesnt have cheese - all other veggie things have cheese. I am just shy of being vegan so the veggie menu covered in cheese doesnt work for me.. If they did go veggie/vegan for a night then I would be in like Flynn..

I would love to try and find somewhere in ED that I could eat more than one thing on the menu, that would definitely guarantee my return custom..

SteveT Wrote:

> I have just phoned the EDT they can seat up to 80.

> There was no one in the restaurant tonight but

> there is tomorrow

> 0208 693 1316

>

> So guys who is up for it, we need numbers........

It seems Strawbs you are not alone because the numbers so far, are not great enough to approach any restaurant.

Although I am not a veggie I would certainly go to a veggie restaurant for a change. The idea of a vegan menu would be great even if they only did it one night a week I would go for it, sadly there is not the interest shown on this thread to do anything more about it.

Or is everyone away on holiday?

I love veggie restaurants - there is a brilliant one in Hammersmith (name escapes me), which is a real restaurant, not a cafe, and it does very well. I would definitely support a similar venture in East Dulwich. There is also another really good one in Bath (Demuths??) and one near Moorgate - (also name gone in the mists of time). It is important that even if the food is veggie the ambiance is still 'restaurant' - I don't want to be on trestle tables or denied decent wines just because I choose not to eat meat.

I went to a vege restaurant years ago with friends... it was around Shepherd's Bush area somewhere, and I think it was called Blah Blah Blah - fantastic food. I'm not vege, but we eat vegetarian food a couple of times a week just because we enjoy it.

"but we eat vegetarian food a couple of times a week just because we enjoy it". I'm not being rude here I hope, but I think you mean you don't eat meat twice a week don't you? What exactly is vegetarian food?

I am one and I'm really interested to know. I just eat food that happens not to be meat.

Asset why so prickly, I would love to go to a veggie restaurant with selection not a restaurant that has one dutiful veggie dish to keep the customer quiet. I would like that restaurant to be near by. I don't eat meat several nights a week but am not a veggie but if there was a good restaurant that was, I would be nearer to becoming a full time none meat eater.

Sorry if I have offended you in any way didn't mean to honest.

georgia Wrote:

> Am I missing something here? What are we supposed

> to be showing interest in? I have to say as a

> vegetarian myself that I manage to find something

> veggie to eat in most places in ED.

What would you recommend then G?

Dear Steve, I don't think I'm being prickly particularly. I am asking a question, is 'vegetarian food' different in some way from say, food that doesn't involve meat?

It's got nothing to do with restaurants particularly.

Asset Wrote:

> I am asking a question, is

> 'vegetarian food' different in some way from say,

> food that doesn't involve meat?

I didn't know this (from the International Vegetarian Union):

The original definition of "Vegetarian" was "with or without eggs or dairy products" and this is the definition still used by the Vegetarian Society today. Most vegetarians in India, however, exclude eggs from their diet as did those in the classical Mediterranean lands, such as Pythagoras.

Some background to 'vegetarian' and 'vegan'

The earliest non-meat-eaters that we know anything much about were in India and Ancient Greece (Pythagoreans), they used plant food plus dairy products - what we would now call lacto-vegetarian, which has always been, and still is, the predominant form of vegetarianism in India.

The use of eggs was added by the British, probably in the 18th century when they revived the Pythagorean ideas. We can't be entirely sure why eggs were added but in the relatively cold, damp climate of Northern England, where all this was happening, the variety of fresh plant foods would have been much more limited than in India or the Mediterranean. Imports would have been very expensive and not very fresh by the time they arrived, so accepting eggs may have been a pragmatic decision. We would now call this group ovo-lacto-vegetarians and they are still the predominant tradition in the UK.

(Administrator, this posting is just by way of a footnote to SE22 based discussion, honest. There is bound to have been some 19th century Vegetarian pioneer living in ED, I just know it).