Covid for the first time anyone else?

alice

Bad luck Alice. How is it affecting you?

I don't know if current advice is to avoid spreading it or not. 

I'd choose to isolate for around a week and take usual precautions to avoid giving it to others, as far as possible. But I may be in the minority on that. I don't think there is Govt advice telling you to do that though.

There is a spike in infections. Probably nice to isolate yourself as vulnerable people can be very unwell with it, treat as flu and keep an eye on your breathing and temperature - it's a good idea to have a cheap oxygen saturation monitor in the house too.

We should all be offered a vaccination IMO - have no idea why the JCVI is only offering boosters to a select few - I'll have one through work, but my partner won't - mad!

• Like 1

I had it for the second time earlier this year.

I was still testing positive for some time after the (unpleasant) symptoms had gone.

I isolated until I tested negative. I think that was longer than what is advised, but I didn't feel comfortable mixing with other people knowing that I was still positive.

Unfortunately, for whatever reasons (cost of tests? Need to work? Thoughtlessness? Selfishness? Certain their symptoms can't possibly be Covid?))  I think some people with symptoms neither have a test nor isolate, which is why it is apparently still spreading so freely (judging by the number of people I know who have had it this year).

I hope you feel better soon, Alice. Take good care of yourself and rest. You could ask your GP or phone 111 if you aren't sure what to do or when to stop isolating?

I think 111 still have a dedicated Covid helpline, judging by the first recorded message you get when you phone them (you dial 1 for Covid advice, I think).

• Haha 1

I’m not sure what the “new” symptoms are. ..and like the op it seems that the information online is for the original coronavirus .

I have nausea, a horrible smell of smoke or rubber, upset tummy, a headache and just general aches. No temperature! 
I’ve run out of the little liquid phials to dip the sample in, so how do I tell? I don’t want to go out and spread it around even more. Hoping it’s just a bug.

In general whenever you feel ill, and particularly if you are coughing or sneezing (unless you know it's a histamine reaction, as in hay fever) you should take some care to isolate yourself, and in particular not to use public transport. In SE Asia (and well before Covid) people tend to wear masks if they are feeling ill and have to go into public spaces. This is as true for any infection as it is for Covid, but there is no longer a mandatory requirement to isolate, or for any particular time. At least now we are attuned to working from home, where that's possible, and employers perhaps more sympathetic to those who choose not to come into work if they are infectious or think they are.

• Like 1

You can order tests online from Boots, or similar, perhaps someone you know can drop some off?  

Not going out and about in enclosed spaces while positive may save the life of someone else who might have a harder time with it. As well, the less it is spread, the less it can mutate. Mutations can give it an advantage over prior immunity - whether one has that by vaccination or infection (or both).  We could face something worse than where we have been with it so keeping the spread down is smart from an epidemiological  perspective.

Fresh air, and, masks if you can bear it.

Feel better everyone! 

Edited by Otto2

45 minutes ago, lilolil said:

I’m not sure what the “new” symptoms are. ..and like the op it seems that the information online is for the original coronavirus .

I have nausea, a horrible smell of smoke or rubber, upset tummy, a headache and just general aches. No temperature! 
I’ve run out of the little liquid phials to dip the sample in, so how do I tell? I don’t want to go out and spread it around even more. Hoping it’s just a bug.

The horrible smell thing sounds like Covid.

I think there are a large number of different symptoms which different people get, including all those you describe.

As someone said above, regardless of whether it's Covid or not, it's not wise or kind to mix with other people when you have symptoms of any kind which could be catching, unless you are sure they are due to  hay fever.

Apart from the discomfort and inconvenience to them, in older people or people with a compromised immune system, catching what you have got could be extremely serious or even  fatal.

I hope you feel better soon.

• Haha 1

I’ve taken the test definitely covid. Got it from my brother while at Kings. But just looking in the interactive postcode gov map of cases - how do they get their facts as there’s no obligation or method for me to report my test result. 

8 hours ago, KalamityKel said:

Sue, that's dated Aug 2022.  Much may have changed since...

I know, but it's only a year ago. 

Do you have any more recent information? I couldn't find any.

I would have thought the general principles were the same?

You are correct Sue - though people may remain infectious longer for various reasons - for instance, if they are older or younger or haven't been immunised for a while. Other factors include the health of the person infected, as well as differences in variants, etc. There are still tests available though one has to pay now...I hope you don't have it but sending best wishes for a not so bad ride with it if you end up positive.

1 hour ago, Otto2 said:

You are correct Sue - though people may remain infectious longer for various reasons - for instance, if they are older or younger or haven't been immunised for a while. Other factors include the health of the person infected, as well as differences in variants, etc. There are still tests available though one has to pay now...I hope you don't have it but sending best wishes for a not so bad ride with it if you end up positive.

Thanks Otto2.

I have several boxes  of LFTs I got from the library when they were giving them away.

I'm still testing negative, but last time I had it I didn't test positive for days after the symptoms started.

I'm hoping it's just a very bad cold, but time will tell .... Commiserations to everyone in a similar boat! 

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I don't want to start another one either. I'll move the post if admin  thinks it should be somewhere else.

I'm not looking for sympathy, I know there are lots of people much more ill than I am, I am just hoping for some information.

My symptoms apparently aren't Covid (I'm still testing negative after a week, so I'm not wasting any more tests).

I'm wondering if anyone on here has had anything similar recently, and if so how long it lasted, because it's very frustrating not feeling well enough to do anything much except lie in bed and read. It's not like a normal cold.

It started with a bit of a dry cough for several days, which I didn't take much notice of. 

Then one afternoon I could hardly stay awake and went to bed around 5pm.

Then the next day  I couldn't stop sneezing (thought it was hay fever). Then I felt crap, then I  got a constantly streaming nose for days, went through boxes of tissues. One night I woke in the middle of the night with a really really sore throat, but (TG) that had mostly gone by the next morning.

Then I got a chesty cough, which got quite bad, still got it but  it's a bit better. Still got a bit of a runny nose but nothing like as bad. Mild headache on and off, slightly sore eyes.

Anyone else? I'm just hoping it's not one of those viruses which lingers on for weeks, because I've got so much to do and no energy to do it.

On the plus side, I'm getting through a lot of books and crosswords 🤣