Cycling to Nine Elms, Vauxhall

I would probably go to Herne Hill, then Milkwood Road, Loughborough Road, Akerman Road, Mostyn Road, across Brixton Road to Lorn Road, Stockwell Park Road, a v short stretch of Clapham Road, then left onto Albert Sq and wiggle your way over to Fentiman Road then you're pretty much there - do you mean Vauxhall station or just the area? Hope that helps

If you're going via herne hill, you might as well carry on through brixton (atlantic road) / stockwell to vauxhall. Most of that route is bus lanes and it avoids the poor road surface and business of Clapham Road. There's a hill in the way though with both those options.

I go through Vauxhall most days. From Herne Hill, I go down Railton Road to Brixton, then up to Stockwell and down South Lambeth Road to Vauxhall. From Brixton to Vauxhall, it is main roads but they have bus lanes as snowy says - and they're a fairly pleasant as those roads aren't manically busy and are wide enough to feel safe. And it's pretty flat... you'll just have an uphill bit to get back from Herne Hill to the library.

If you're reasonably new to cycling in London traffic (which I'm guessing from you wanting to avoid main roads), then take a look at the cycle training that Southwark provide (I think they still do so). They'll take you out for a couple of hours and give you some great tips on assertive riding etc. I found it really useful when I started commuting and it gave me a lot of confidence.

uncleglen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I would use the 185 bus route since there are bus

> lanes. In my experience people drive like nutters

> round the back streets.

I cycle it every day. I've seen people on here with an irrational fear of Camberwell New Road but I think it's prefectly safe as you're one of many cyclists, and for the most part there are bus lanes. Be a bit careful as you approach Vauxhall though and make sure you go under the tunnel and not around it with the cars.... it's really gnarly and not obvious that you're not meant to do it

The 185 route does have DKH though which is a bit of a monster if you are new to cycling. Excellent hill training though!

I take Camberwell New Road occasionally but while I don't feel unsafe on it, I find it less pleasant than the South Lambeth Road route to Vauxhall which is wider and feels airier somehow!

Applespider Wrote:

> The 185 route does have DKH though which is a bit

> of a monster if you are new to cycling. Excellent

> hill training though!

He's coming from the library and I live at 'that end' too (near Heber Road)... the best route is down Crystal Palace Road and keep going, all the way down to Bellenden Road. Follow that round onto Camberwell New Road, joins just up from the College of Arts. It's probably half a mile longer but takes less time given the flatness! And it's nicer too as there are no buses until you get to Camberwell New Road... DKH is horrible when you've got a double decker right behind you at a similar pace!

Aha! (female here, despite username) I hadn't considered getting to Camberwell that way by bike, though I do it by car all the time. You mean the Lyndhurst Way route don't you? I might try that and then cycling parallel to C New Road, Myatt's fields sort of area. Good idea.

if it is any help my usual wiggle through the back streets to Vauxhall takes my along Lynhurst Way but then across Warwick Gardens (park path), up Lyndhurst Grove / McNeil Road to Camberwell Grove, dink right / left onto the footpath, get to Grove Vale and turn right down the hill, turn left into Danelville, across into Coldharbour lane, first right into Valmar Roadand thence onto Fentiman Road, cutting right through the park to Lawn Lane and Vauxhall cross.

Takes me about 30 mins from SE15 and 'tis a bit hilly on the Grove Vale section - and quite bumpy in parts if you are not careful - McNeil Road, Warner Road and the area around the building works in Patmos Road are the low lights

tomskip Wrote:

> Aha! (female here, despite username) I hadn't

> considered getting to Camberwell that way by bike,

> though I do it by car all the time. You mean the

> Lyndhurst Way route don't you? I might try that

> and then cycling parallel to C New Road, Myatt's

> fields sort of area. Good idea.

Yes that's the one. Only takes me about 15 mins to get to Vauxhall this way