Lordship Lane Bus Diversion

It was a suggestion not a fiat. Swathes of the Village and adjacent areas have no buses - the P4 is welcome, of course. Buses even smaller than the ones on the P13 route could provide a nimble and helpful addition. If the road is in effect a very long and pretty wide culdesac it ought to be opened up for public transport use while still respecting the fact it is a suburban area. 

6 hours ago, heartblock said:

Makes complete sense that the P13 travels this way, but it won’t happen as residents in Court Lane like their private road, the two Dulwich Cllrs will not allow this. Selfishness is inherently part of the local politics.

They didn't even like the P4 when it was a minibus going down Court Lane in the 70s and early 80s.    The P4 was rerouted away from Court Lane in 1990 along Dulwich Common and College Road which has let to the reliability problems the route has being stuck on the South Circular instead of serving residential streets for what it was designed for.

Yes ... I remember, the little bus was not welcome by the residents of Court Lane and Calton Avenue, where it was originally meant to run,  as it was not in keeping with the area.... so much for encouraging public transport use. 

Edited by heartblock

Was surprised to see a P4 going up Forest Hill Road yesterday (Monday) evening, so I took the opportunity to get a rare ride from Forest Hill Road to Honor Oak Park station & beyond to Stondon Park. It was then a shorter journey to Catford on a 171 than it is going through Forest Hill on a 185. 

I've no idea why the P4 was/is on diversion - nothing on TFL website.

Lordship Lane is still closed but I've noticed more large vehicles (including a couple of buses) coming down LL having to do 3 point turns as they can't turn into Heber Road.

Aside from the night working, it's been much quieter without the lorries and boy racers.

Edited by tfwsoll

Is there anyone here using 185 recently? Not sure if this is because of the current diversion but timetable is totally unreliable. I am new in the neighbourhood, using 185 for school drop-off and pick up. Everyday, wasting lot of time at the bus stop and getting late for the school pick up ☹️

Hi mcbilkur,

my daughter uses the 185 to get to and from school and the timetable can always be a bit erratic I think mainly due to traffic on the route. She uses the TfL Go app to check when the buses are due as this uses the same source as the Countdown timers and that seems to be the most reliable way. I think like a lot of bus routes the timetable is a nice idea but isn't accurate due to traffic / roadworks / driver changes etc.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, heartblock said:

The utter incompetence of Thames Water, Conway and Southwark Council...A confederacy o idiots.  

Well basically it's Thames Water.  It looks like they tried to do a patch up job which backfired in spectacular fashion. 

Passed the site a few days with lots of Thames Water workers starring glumly into a large hole in the ground.  Not a good omen 

The contractors reckon the Townley/Heber junction will re-open tomorrow as single lane with temporary lights.  Having watched several huge Morrison/M&S trucks having to reverse back up the road or turn round as they missed/ignored the road closed signs, it can't come soon enough.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/09/2023 at 11:28, tfwsoll said:

They were working through Friday night and are on site today so hopefully the road will be open again soon.  I watched a 185 full of passengers do a 3 point turn at the roadworks as the driver clearly didn't get the message about the road closure!

I saw him on the phone to his manager... wondered what he was going to do - glad I wasn't witness to that !