Lordship Lane Bus Diversion

Routes 40, 176 and 185 are currently not serving Lordship Lane from Goose Green to Dulwich Library due to an unsafe road surface, which I suspect is where Thames Water have been digging up the road by Townley Road.  Buses are on diversion via East Dulwich Road, Peckham Rye and Barry Road.   This has been the situation all day today (Monday).

Route P13 is still serving Lordship Lane between Goose Green and Whateley Road as normal.

The road surface looks really bad near the station (across the road near the DIY shop), looks like it melted at some point! Not sure if that is also being resurfaced...

Huge inconvenience, hope they sort it out before school term starts but sounds like more work is planned next week!

Edited by Jellybeanz

It could be that the roadworks at the end of Townley Road where it meets Lordship Lane are the problem, given that the P13 is still running it seems. Outside Dental Beauty it is down to one lane but there are now some alarming dips in that single lane - huge potholes in effect. That could cause a big difficulty for the 176/40/185, all double deckers so I guess heavier. Perfectly timed for a rail strike… lucky that many people are still away this week. 
It would be interesting to know if lorries are also diverted because of this. 

Logic would suggest the current work up at Townley road has caused a (perhaps anticipated) weakness in the bit of road where ALL traffic is currently being pushed through from the temp traffic lights.  A quick fix patch was done as they'll be digging up that bit of the road as part of the work already happening. Buses are diverted to ease the pressure/weight on the spot concerned.

Yesterday I overheard the workmen discussing the area and they were grateful buses were on diversion so they didn't have to worry too much about the "dip".

The TfL website The tfl website says the following: 

LORDSHIP LANE, SE21: Until 16:00 on Tuesday 5 September, routes 40 176 185 are on diversion in both directions due to an infrastructure issue.

Meanwhile Conways have plans to resurface Barry Road at the junction of Upland Road on the 4th and 5th.

Can someone join up the thinking for the council?

Edited by Spartacus

2 hours ago, jazzer said:

According to TfL, their are no planned disruptions to the P13 on 4 & 5 September!!!!!!!!

There shouldn't be as the resurfacing works are at the top of Barry Road.

I can see the diversion on Monday and Tuesday being the 176 and 185 diverted completely away from LL running along the whole of Peckham Rye, Forest Hill Road, Honor Oak Road to line of route in Forest Hill, the 197 starting from Dulwich Library, the 40 starting from Goose Green and the 12 from Peckham Rye/Nigel Road.

It's completely closed.  I saw workers trying to resolve the issue at 7pm tonight (Friday) while cycling.

East Dulwich Road especially is taking the bulk of the traffic while some of the side streets near the roadworks are seeing more traffic than usual.  I nearly got ran over by cars on Landcroft Road.

45 minutes ago, Sue said:

What is happening to the P13? 

Is it still running up Whateley Road or if not where is it being diverted?

What about the 197, is that affected in the direction towards Croydon?

P13 is not impacted at all.

No idea what will happen to the 197 or the 12, both currently still running happily up and down Barry Road. 

Maybe contact conways to see what the plan is or ask James mCash as he is responsible for streets. 

• Thanks 1

On 30/08/2023 at 17:22, Jellybeanz said:

The road surface looks really bad near the station (across the road near the DIY shop), looks like it melted at some point! Not sure if that is also being resurfaced...

Huge inconvenience, hope they sort it out before school term starts but sounds like more work is planned next week!

I’ve noticed this in a couple of locations where the road surface has slumped in the bus stop areas, maybe a reaction caused by a different finishing material. 

This upset/diversion has reinforced my fondness for the P13 and made me wonder whether opening up the Court Lane three-way LTN to small buses like this service help get things back on track, to use a metaphor from a different type of transport. Court Lane is wide, most houses have gardens out front to distance inhabitants from what would only be momentary engine noise and it’s ripe for actual use and being of service to the community. A small bus from Rye Lane to H Hill every fifteen minutes would help, don’t you think? 

Edited by Nigello
  • Like 2