Chern Thai Cafe On Grove Vale - Revised Opening Hours

Zak

It looks like the new Thai cafe on Grove Vale (between the Cherry Tree and Poached) will be opening quite soon. 

The Thai lady running it has done a complete makeover and it looks promising. 

There's now a notice in the window saying that it will be open from Wednesday 6th Sewptember

12.00 -3.00  & 5.00= 9.00  - closed  Tuesdays

Thaii Cafe .jpg

Edited by Zak
  • Like 2

• Zak changed the title to Thai Cafe On Grove Vale Opwning On 6th September
  • Zak changed the title to Thai Cafe On Grove Vale Opening On 6th September
2 hours ago, Lou said:

We went last night. Excellent food and brilliant value for money.  No alcohol licence yet. But you can BYO and pay £2.50 corkage. 
£7.50 for main 

£3.0 for starter. 
We will def be back. 

It sounds fantastic, but how can she make a profit at those prices, with rent (I presume but may be wrong) and energy and ingredients and goodness knows what else to cover?

And (again I presume but may be wrong) she doesn't do both the cooking and front of house herself, so does she have at least one other person to pay?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, teddyboy23 said:

She's not stitching you up like all the other restaurants 

That wasn't my point at all!

People have to make a living and make money for the hard work they put in! Restaurants aren't charities!

Edited by Sue
  • Like 1

Yes people do have to make a living , and if the owner of the Thai restaurant is happy with the prices she charges.why are you bothered.instead of freting how she does it .put your Sunday best on stroll down to the restaurant and ask her yourself.simples

Edited by teddyboy23
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, teddyboy23 said:

Yes people do have to make a living , and if the owner of the Thai restaurant is happy with the prices she charges.why are you bothered.instead of freting how she does it .put your Sunday best on stroll down to the restaurant and ask her yourself.simples

Charming 

• Like 1

• Joe changed the title to Chern Thai Cafe On Grove Vale Opening On 6th September
  • Zak changed the title to Chern Thai Cafe On Grove Vale - Revised Opening Hours

Just spoken to the lady running the cafe and she tells me that they've amended their opening hours:

Sunday closed

Monday-Friday 12-3pm & 5-9pm

Saturday 5-9pm

The food's looking good!

Edited by Zak

Ha! Just in time for us - back from hols, nothing in the fridge, so where to go on a Tuesday evening? Yay! What wants to know what we had? Oh, go on then, you’ve twisted my arm. Here’s some pictures, since my vocabulary won’t do it justice…

First, from the inside looking out - nicer not being blown down the road, especially if the weather where you’ve just come from is still warm and sunny - then the Menu (which is indeed a soft launch menu and will change, apparently). Next, starters - spring rolls and Gyoza. Love the china and cutlery, too!

Better put the other pictures on a fresh post……

IMG_3990.jpeg

IMG_3992.jpeg

IMG_3984.jpeg

Now our main courses - Pad King and a Green Curry. What was left? Empty plates. 

Really enjoyed it - food was fragrant, creamy, fresh, tasty…. oh, and the chairs are comfy and the table doesn’t wobble!

IMG_3989.jpeg

IMG_3987.jpeg

IMG_3993.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Been a couple of times, and love this place. Service is personal and v friendly. Food is fresh and does everything a Thai meal is supposed to do. BYO wine always a treat, and, most of all, I’m seriously hoping we locals support a gutsy effort to make it work by the owner! 

Edited by JohnAdrian
  • Like 2

We went here quite early tonight (6.30).

We did book, just in case, but it wasn't necessary (though it was quite full by the time we left).

The food was very tasty, with fresh veg. Service was friendly and welcoming. 

We will be back, and work our way through the menu!

• 4 weeks later...

Interested to see other reviews. Just for balance I thought it was nice but my partner wasn't blown away. Although everything is freshly prepared she felt the starters - prawn toast and gyoza – were the kind of thing you could buy in a supermarket. Mains - stir fry and pad thai – were good.

Service polite and friendly but mains were brought rather too quickly -while we were still eating starters.

I'd read above that it could get busy so we booked for 7.45 on a Thursday which is usually the busiest midweek night. There were two other couples when we arrived and I think about one couple there when we left around 8.45pm. I imagine it could have a nice buzzy atmosphere if busier. I do hope it does well - it's definitely good value at the moment, soft launch lasts until October 27 so I hope more people try it and post their thoughts here. (edited to add corkage is £2.50 but per person not per bottle so a good deal if you want a boozy night, not so good if you are driving and only have half a glass).

Edited by sandyman

Went here for lunch today. 2 soups, 1 curry and 1 stir fry with 2 pots of Chinese tea - £25 very good value. Spoke to the owner who stated that she will be doing a bigger menu after 27th October, She now has staff to help with the cooking so can expand. Good quality food and plenty of it. Around 13  people dining whilst we were there.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Went back last week to try out the new menu and was very pleasantly surprised.

It’s  still possible to eat from the old limited express menu at bargain prices - at lunchtime that is. But the expanded evening menu has lots of new additions and has a much more restaurant ‘feel’ about it both in terms of variety and presentation. What’s more, although it’s a bit more expensive it strikes us a still great value.  

Still closed on. Tuesday’s but ours at weekends 

A really welcome addition to restaurants in ED 

• Like 1