Cafe el Paso closed for refurb?

Cassius Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I did try and ask the workmen what was going on

> but none of them spoke any English - I have head

> that it is a chain from Sydenham but whether

> that's just a rumour or not I don't know.

Hmm interesting, there is indeed a Tex Mex place in Sydenham, and I remember commenting to Mrs Keef just how similar the decor / menus were, so you could be spot on.

I hope it stays, I know it's naff, but that's what is great about it. Saying that, I do like Demery's idea of making it more of a drinking place, and keeping the food more snacky.

As long as they still do the ribs!!!

Mexican restaurants which feature cacti, spaghetti western-fonted writing and oversized hats are strictly for stags and hens, children under 10, or abysmal birthday group-bookings where the guests are too polite to complain - or simply too drunk to care.

The place has been empty every time I've been past. And I've passed by quite a few times.

The funeral parlour over the road looks more lively.

The Mexican in Herne Hill (Bandidos?) delivers to Friern Rd - but it really isn't worth it. Very greasy and sloppy - which might be do-able if I was in the restaurant and it was hot and we were on the way to getting drunk.. but in the cold sober light of home it wasn't very appealing

I?ve always liked the idea of nachos but can?t say I have ever had any that actually lived up to my expectations.

On Saturday night though I had a sudden craving for a chimichanga but didn?t feel like going out in the rain so ended up having pizza instead.

Mexican food in this country is a very poor imitation of the indigenous cuisine. I was stunned at just how good food in Mexico was having only had El Passo and similar over here. Lobster filled chilli's was the one I remember best - hot on the way in and hot............

I don't think anyone really thinks that places like Cafe El Passo are serving authentic mexican cuisine! But I would say that it's a reasonable reproduction of the bog-standard Tex-Mex food you get on every corner in Texas/California/etc.

to be fair to Cafe El Passo, the food they served was far bettter than the "old El Passo" kits in the supermarket - depends which one Cassius was talking about

Cafe El Passo = 6/10 food wise

Those supermarket El Passo kits = minus numbers. Sawdust. With some suger laced sauce

Never done a supermarket kit - I wouldn't expect them to be up to standard. Actually only ate in El Passo once, but other London Mexican establishments have not proved very exciting in the past. I do think the chillies in Mexico are very different to the ones available here and make all the difference.

I remember back in the early 1990's when this place was still an Italian owned steakhouse known as "Never on a Sunday". Fabulous food always fresh and very traditional, to think it was replaced with this craphole has angered me ever since so I certainly wont be feeling the loss if it disappears!

Louisa.

I loved the tex mex for all the obvious reasons, not the food but the cocktails and back in the day before i became mrs Mc i use to go in there on a sunday afternoon post liquid sunday lunch to line our stomachs for the good old swan in stockwell oh il miss that place.

EDOldie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hope someone saves the sign, proper landmark.

Many a time I've walked past a bit tipsy and thought of pinching that, for historical purposes, of course.