Cafe el Paso closed for refurb?

Apparently it's closed until further notice.

I'm not surprised as it was always empty, food very average (if cheap) and in need of a bit of a face lift.

Personally, I think it could make a killing as more of a bar than a restaurant. Keep the mexican theme food wise - a few burritos, nacho's and a few screen for the football and you'd be laughing.

Anyone know what's happening there?

I heard that all the staff went on a Peyote and Mezcal bender resulting in a 6am pledge to reclaim The Alamo for the United States of Mexico...not sure how far they made it when a shocking Sombrero failure at high altitude led to a forced basejump over The Galapagos Islands. Via con dios indeed.

This was the first place I ever ate out in in ED - and for nostalgic reasons if it shuts I'd feel the loss, even though I never go there now (principally because I never go out at all now).

But if it were to go - it would be the ideal venue for the clearly missing late 'n' live music venue on LL. It's a large space, and there's even an upstairs bit for chin-stroky poetry readings and other avant garde happenings.

Ted Max Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This was the first place I ever ate out in in ED -

> and for nostalgic reasons if it shuts I'd feel the

> loss, even though I never go there now

Likewise Ted no idea what made me choose the place, but I have a real soft spot for it.

Likewise Ted no idea what made me choose the place

Well on that part of LL it was that or Le Chardon, in those days, if you didn't fancy a curry.

Actually, that's not quite true, there was Spaghetti Weston's next door, serving pasta to a disappointed clientele.

I remember it of old, the guy who owned it was very sweet, and used to give me 10% off bill since i helped him out when a customer fainted once. I am sad to see it go. the food was tasty and cheap.

I love the place. First place we ate at when we moved into the area. It must stay. Serves the best cocktails. They are so strong I stumble out litterally blinded! hurray! Keep it, it must stay.But yes,a paint job would be good and do something with the large wasted space upstairs.

It was the first place we ate out when we moved to the area too... I wonder what it is about the place that enticed us all as "newbies" to the area?! Have eaten there a couple of times, always quite good fun, food OK, alcohol brilliant ;-) I liked that it had a real tongue in cheek feel to it, fantastic naff Mexican music, great tacky decor... nice to find a place that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Hope it's just having a facelift and will be back!

Cassius Wrote:

> I have heard that it is to be refurbished and expanded and the upstairs done up too.

Any reliable updates on this issue?

Went there after several years of walking by and was pleasantly surprised by better-than-average Mexican food (which is saying something), but, alas, it is tired inside, with depressingly over-attentive staff. A makeover might only delay the inevitable: that we in the UK will choose Indian or Thai or Gastropub over re-fried beans and enchilada.

I went there a couple of times, but it always seemed empty... and the food, while being acceptable, wasn't exactly "nice" as such.

But it certainly had comedy value and a certain amount of individuality (despite the cliches). It was something of a LL institution, so I am sad to see it go.

Zebedee Tring Wrote:

> Cassius Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> I have always been impressed with the fact that

> the Mexican with the sombrero gracing the front of

> the restaurant is so far from the stereotype of

> Mexicans with which we are so familiar.

Did I?

i always thought the food here was rather lame and over priced which was a pity because i think LL would really benefit from a good mexican. Agree with the point about the cocktails though.

i hope they do reopen with a new chef - they would certainly get my custom.....