Denmark Hill Refurb

these projects always overrun - it's expected. This is UK, not Germany.

However, it's main premise I believe is to make the station more usable, by the numbers that now pass through and also to support disabled/pram pushers - not necessarily to create a 'beautiful' world wonder.

Do you know for a fact that no-one's head's rolled ?

I think it looks good, the ticket office especially. I believe the footbridge/towers could have been a lot worse and as KidKruger says it will help people with prams and the less able-bodied. I'm not sure how much it has cost though or when the new additions are going to be officially used. Any ideas when the work is going to be completed?

How much has it cost? How long has it taken?

rahrahrah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I can't believe:

> (a) how long it's taken

> (b) how much it's cost

> © how ugly the whole thing (especially the

> footbridge / towers) are

> (d) how no one's head has rolled as a result of a,

> b and c

It was originally due for completion in July 2012 I believe. In total they've been working on it for over 2 years.

I understand that it was originally a ?4.18 million project at Denmark Hill, but in light of the significant overun, this figure will almost certainly have gone up. I suspect we won't know the final cost until it's finished, but certainly it'll be in the millions.

I appreciate the need for step free access, but that is quite seperate to the nature of the design, which in my opinion (it is clearly a matter of personal taste), is poor.

Denmark Hill is a crucial station for connections to Kings, from all over London, so I'd like to know that any works carried out to such an important station are done properly with a bit of flexibility over costs and time over runs. Living on Barry Road, I am closer to PR station so I want to know when works will start here?

Louisa.

What I'm saying is surely it would be better to have the station completed properly considering how important it is and the need for disabled ramps and lifts etc even if it means an overlap in costs and time rather than open it incomplete? Sometimes it's easy to moan about these things, but lets just let them get on with it, it's nearly done.

Louisa.

rahrahrah - costs/timeline aside, as long as it provides improvements the finer details of design etc. don't really matter I'm afraid. There's a recession on and this ain't the ideal homes exhibition. In this climate we should be thankful for the improvements at all, heavn knows the funding isn't really there to pay for it anyway.

Louisa - It's an overrun, not an overlap.

It's irritating but not surprising that it's overrun. I can't understand though why anyone would think that it's well designed! I use it every day and every day I think what a missed opportunity it is and how depressing it is that it's all about function and no effort at all has been put into form.

I can't wait, it's pretty unedifying the faces one pulls as you can see your train mere feet away, but unable to get there due to the sardine tin bottlenecks that are the current stairs and exits.

Can't bloody wait frankly.

The new steps down the platform by the lifts will ease the horrendous congestion that exists at the moment, but those new steps are SO far towards the platform end that for passengers wanting to avoid the crush there will be a lot of extra walking to leave the station. Trains and people are naturally going to migrate to that end I suppose.

Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to see it open - that's kind of my point (it's a shame it didn't complete 12 months ago). Personally I think it's ugly and some more thought should have been put into the form. Never the less, it will be good when it's finally finished and the station is 'fully functional'.

It was originally programmed to take a year to complete the works and reopen July 2012. Well in time for the East London Line phase 2.

Glad it's happening but the design and usability seems poor. The new walkways wont add much capacity. Lots of tight corners that could have been designed out.

Network Rail and TfL dont have a great record maintaining lifts. So adding three and not creating using slopes instead of two of them is a shame.

The controlled barriers should make the rail service safer for the whole area.

I was previously of the opinion that it doesn't really matter if it looks a bit ugly, as long as it helps accessibility. But now I'm starting to change my opinion.

But then look at what we're going through with Peckham Rye at the moment. All the effort to undo the damage that's been done over the years and restore some of the original architecture. All this wouldn't have been necessary if the station had been treated sympathetically.

The main issue with Denmark Hill station is that the entrance is on a narrow and dangerous small side road with restricted space. Perhaps the much needed improvements will be lacking in a certain amount of sympathy to the existing Italiante architecture, but they are long overdue for such an important station for hospital access. Regardless of the aesthetics, they will give more people easy access to the station. The look of the place may not be to everyone's taste, but a more overriding issue for me is how dangerous this turning can be at peak times.

Louisa.

We'll see whether it works in terms of the flow of people - clearly the present arrangements are inadequate given the numbers who use it at peak times. The station was an architectural gem in its day and should be seen as a local landmark. It doesn't look as though the new additions have been designed with much sensitivity for the existing structures or for the local environment. The towers for the lifts are seriously ugly. I don't think this can be excused just on grounds of costs. We'll have to live with this for 20+ years after all.

This has taken an absolute age to be completed. There's a poster up now saying that it will be completeed by June 2013 - I won't hold my breath though. I welcome the improved accessibility and routes in and out of the station. However, the new bridge looks very ugly. I personally dislike the glass panels and the colour of the construction. Denmark hill used to look like a nice classic station but has now been ruined. I suppose we can't have utility and beauty.

Also, they really need to install more than one Oyster machine. It frequently breaks and as a result ends up costing me more in buying a single ticket from the kiosk. Also, I hope the coffee guys get to stay!