lack of old pubs

I'll put a shout in for my local, Hoopers... I wouldn't call it "rough and ready", but it is most definitely a pub, and not a winebar/gastropub/etc. Although to be honest if it doesn't start pulling more punters, I doubt it will be there for long.

Try the Nags Head (Peckham Rye) , The Bun House (Peckham High Street) , The Greyhound (Peckham High Street) or the Hope (Rye Lane)

All four are as described, one room boozers, and three of them also have pool tables (although watch out for Mick, the owner of the Bun House as he is a bit hot on the table and likes to 'play' his punters)

The White Horse has a more upmarket feel to it, but again does come into the correct category as requested

Peckham is home to the proper pub if you ask my opinion (and as they have a functioning Pubwatch in action, the first in the borough along with an Information Sharing Protocol with a bared in one bared in all policy making them a safe place to drink as the landlords there take care to look after their customers)

Peckham (surprisingly) is also an excellent place for a pub crawl, and I heard that a hen night did just that a few weeks ago as they felt safer in Peckham then other places in london (as recounted by the Landlord of the White Horse at the last pubwatch meeting)

I Love Peckham (Boozers) 'Hic'

LuvPeckham Wrote:

-----------------------

> Peckham is home to the proper pub if you ask my

> opinion (and as they have a functioning Pubwatch

> in action, the first in the borough along with an

> Information Sharing Protocol with a bared in one

> bared in all policy making them a safe place to

> drink as the landlords there take care to look

> after their customers)

>

So if go topless in one pub I have to go topless in all pubs??

Peckhamgatecrasher Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Don't agree on the Gowlett. It's been opened up

> and one section poncified. It's not quite one

> thing or the other now.

erm. the gowlett was "opened up" over 15 years ago... it changed to what it is now over 4 years ago. poncified would seem to me to describe shiny designer furniture and overpriced twatty beers. communities change. real pubs retain the community as it does so, or in today's climate falls by the developer wayside ( rip coach & horses, beehive, lord palmerston (lyndhurst way se15 before you all start) oglander, and many many others between ed and e&c) in 1973 the "poncy" side was a greengrocer's. they said then that they were taking the p1ss.... if you have been to the gowlett and considered it poncy you probably haven't been back. and there is the greatest stamp of approval the g fans could have. oh. i just realised the gowlett is 78 yards into the se15 bracket. does that mean we shouldn't mention it any more?

I was playing pool in the Gowlett two weeks ago. I stand by what I said, it has neither a gastro pub interior or an old fashioned pub interior. It is my local and if you look at my nom de plume, it's not hard to work out that I live in Peckham, so I'm not going to dismiss it's location. It's not what I require from an old fashioned boozer, namely dark and grim interiors, sticky floors and dart boards, a public, saloon, snug and offie and a packet of pork scratchings if you're lucky.

With Evelkineievel re JFK pool hall. Was in there a couple of weekends ago for a late scoop. Was promptly bounced down the stairs and shunted onto rye lane. Something to do with a dodgy twenty.

Ahhh. they dont do late night drinking holes like that round here anymore (although its Peckham not ED). Although the Hope further up Rye Lane has a certain appeal! Abanon all hope those that enter here.

James Wrote:

> To all those who want more pubs like the Castle...

> move to Penge! Lots of horrible old boozers there

> with net curtains and blokes in tracksuits talking

> about fighting. You'll love it.

Lol. Penge. Hands up anyone who can say Penge without tittering. It really is an inherently funny word.

Especially when the bus says it.

One, Seven, Six

To

Penge

Or in the words of his royal godness Robert Rankin, ?I?ve heard it?s a lovely place but I?ve never been there myself. ?

Anyone else find James? hissy fit about El Castillo even funnier for the fact that he mentioned Penge?

Only me? Well no change there then.

Brendan Wrote:

> James Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > To all those who want more pubs like the

> Castle...

> > move to Penge! Lots of horrible old boozers

> there

> > with net curtains and blokes in tracksuits

> talking

> > about fighting. You'll love it.

>

> Lol. Penge. Hands up anyone who can say Penge

> without tittering. It really is an inherently

> funny word.

>

> Especially when the bus says it.

>

> One, Seven, Six

> To

> Penge

>

> Or in the words of his royal godness Robert

> Rankin, ?I?ve heard it?s a lovely place but I?ve

> never been there myself. ?

>

> Anyone else find James? hissy fit about El

> Castillo even funnier for the fact that he

> mentioned Penge?

>

> Only me? Well no change there then.

I think he got it about spot on. I was there recently and took the time to visit a few pubs. Cheap but cheerless.

Right about the comedy value of Penge though, the Monty Python troupe certainly agreed with you.

I've always thought it sounds like something you might catch after a poorly judged one-night-stand and have to go to the special clinic to get some ointment for.

"Ohh don't go near him, my friend says he's got Penge!"

No offense intended, obviously, it's just a funny word. ;-)

Pickle Wrote:

> I've got a friend who lives in Penge and

> pronounces it "Pon-jay"... just to add a bit of

> poshness!

I've heard people call it that too, always makes me chuckle.

Back on topic, I agree with PGC RE the Gowlett. It's a nice place, but old school boozer it aint. It sells pizza (very nice pizza at that), old pubs don't sell pizza!

>>>I've always thought it sounds like something you might catch after a poorly judged one-night-stand :D<

"Penge" was made famour by Horace Rumpole of course and his celebrated "Penge Bungalow murder(s)". To me the word suggests a hermaphrodite's supernumerary body part...:))