lack of old pubs

hi all

is it just me or is all the pubs turning into gastro child frendly pubs am i just missing something or does eneyone eles miss the old type pubs were you could go for a honest pint in your dirty work cloths without the screaming kids running around the places ?

James Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The Castle? Ugh, that place is AWFUL

For you James I'm sure it is but the guy did speculate about old fashioned rough ready type of pubs and The Castle certainly comes into that category. Good shout on the Gowlett Mark.

But doesn't the CPT have a notice outside along the lines of "no dirty workclothes?"

In which case the original poster may not be welcomed ..... maybe it doesn't have it any more, but it always used to put me off going in - immaculately dressed as I always am :)) it seemed a strange notice for this particular pub .....

:))

Yes it does, and it was a huge error that cost the owner a lot of business. Good! Don't hold it against the bar staff though, they're the best of people, and would happily serve people in dirty(ish) work clothes, but they can't take the sign away.

The Castle? Don't make me laugh. Far 'edgier' than the majority of the EDFers (including myself) would be prepared to cope with. The CPT, great, like it lots, though if they want to put proper coolers on the Stella I'd go there more often.

East Dulwich no longer supports or for that matter wants 'proper' pubs, does it?

Come on, a bit of honesty here.

Mark Wrote:

> What's a "proper" pub? And what is an "honest"

> pint?

What CAMRA used to describe as a "one room boozer". Corner pub, one bar, 2 /3 handpulled beers labelled Mild / Bitter and Winter Warmer, small selection of spirits, one old man smoking roll ups, nursing half pint of mild and reading Racing Times, two old ladies in hairnets drinking port & lemon. Publican watching old black & white cowboy movies on very old TV. Last year's racing calendar, old Donald McGill postcards sent from Margate and Southend. It's a kind of folk memory and not what today's punters want.

Alternatively there's the "Moon under Water" as described by the old Etonian Eric Blair - aka Gorge Orwell, which if it could be dscovered / was real would be everyone's platonic ideal of a pub.

Mark Wrote:

> What's a "proper" pub? And what is an "honest"

> pint?

I think a proper pub is a licensed premises whose primary function is to serve alcohol in all its various forms. There are salty packaged snacks, crisps, nuts and pork scratchings available on demand. Pat, the guvnor's wife will have access to a nice bit of boiled ham and some decent cheddar. This will be combined with some nice crusty bread, Branston pickle, picalilli, salad cream and on high days and holidays it will be available as a toasted sandwich. Other than that the sarnies are available for a little above cost. Of a Sunday (and it's always 'of a', not 'on a' in a proper pub), the aforementioned salty snacks are placed in small dishes around the bar for free, but in small quantities. At 1.40 pm, Pat will bring down a large dish of roast potatos, nicely sprinkled with salt. Under very few circumstances will the pub extend its legal closing time beyond 11.00 pm, unless someone of importance dies, such as a Queen or the/Earl/Duke/Prince/King that the pub is named after, or of course Christmas and New Years Eves, I mean you've got to, haven't you really?

By not applying for an extension to the pub's opening hours it means that Terry, the guvnor can offer a select group of people the honour of 'THE LOCK IN' of a Friday and a Saturday nights, than which there is very little more glorious in life. To get the Terry, the guvnor's approval is to know you have truly arrived in a way that even a 50's debutante's mother couldn't be sure of. Terry could also offer 'THE LOCK IN' on a Sunday, but this would usually be before a bank holiday Monday. Not irresponsible wasn't Terry. And that's it,really. What else is needed? Charity work? That can be done by allowing people to place large bottles on the bar for small donations. It will always be community centred, because it's in the middle of where people live. Children can come in, provided they don't hang around where alcohol is being served and are accompanied by at least one male grandparent.

As for an honest pint? What's that? "Evening, give us a pint of Untruthful ALcohol"

As silly a cliche as it gets.

HonaloochieB Wrote:

> The Castle? Don't make me laugh. Far 'edgier' than

> the majority of the EDFers (including myself)

> would be prepared to cope with.

I wouldn't be so sure. Hands up everyone who has been there in the last, oh say, 4 months?

(tu)

Brendan Wrote:

> HonaloochieB Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > The Castle? Don't make me laugh. Far 'edgier'

> than

> > the majority of the EDFers (including myself)

> > would be prepared to cope with.

>

> I wouldn't be so sure. Hands up everyone who has

> been there in the last, oh say, 4 months?

> (tu)

Hands up to last Friday 9th May.

Marmora Man - always pissed me off that that grotty pub chain nicked the name 'Moon Under Water' from Orwell, a joy to see it used in it's proper context. Thanks.

Especially sad that the idea of the Moon Under Water (like an inverse Room 101) should be associated with such a dire chain. Suppose it happened to Room 101 as well really.

Anyone been to the JFK pool hall on Rye Lane? Now there's a place with a rough and ready feel to it, and open properly late..

Brendan Wrote:

> HonaloochieB Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > The Castle? Don't make me laugh. Far 'edgier'

> than

> > the majority of the EDFers (including myself)

> > would be prepared to cope with.

>

> I wouldn't be so sure. Hands up everyone who has

> been there in the last, oh say, 4 months?

> (tu)

In the last four months - about 3 or 4 times I should think. Do I get a nice shiny badge for that?