ED Nature Watch

Moos wrote:- What does badger taste like?

Pork! I read it somewhere, probably on Sainsbugs deli counter.

PGC wrote:- Oh no - I thought I hadn't seen Tufty for some years. [i have my eye on you, madam]

Yeah, she's partial to game is Moos, duck I think..........

*ignores rude barracking from them at the back*

Autumn is coming on in style in PR Park, with most of the trees still mainly green but touched with red or yellow on their sunniest leaves. My favourite acer next to the Japanese garden bridge has turned purple and next week will flame scarlet for a few days before all the leaves droop and die. What looks like a pampas grass on the path next to the main entrance turning left from the oval flowerbed has sprouted rather amazing spikes of droopy cream-coloured flowers.

Guardian Country File?! I defy you, defy you I say, to find a spelling mistake in that post.

Okay...if you insist, and more in sorrow than anger, hurts me more than it hurts you etc etc..."flowerbed" should have been "flower-bed" B)

Peckhamgatecrasher Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I watched a rather aggressive cormorant on the

> lake today. He was going for ducks, either by dive

> bombing them or churning across the water at great

> speeds.

>

> Would make a pretty impressive weapon if we could

> harness that - a bit like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

> on acid.

In China and Japan they tie ropes around their necks and make them dive for fish. The rope harnesses the bird so it comes back and also prevents it from swallowing its find.

SimonM Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Okay...if you insist, and more in sorrow than

> anger, hurts me more than it hurts you etc

> etc..."flowerbed" should have been "flower-bed" B)

Bugger. Have no dictionary with which to attempt to defend myself, so shall just slink off in shame.

Can anyone explain why a blue tit would peck at paint on my bathroom window sill?

I thought there might be insects there, but it (and other birds) appear to be actually stripping the paint :-S

And they are well provided for with peanuts and fat balls, as well!

Also - something has made off with a whole net of birdseed which was hanging on a branch - plus the metal hook it was hanging from!! Surely a squirrel couldn't do that?? It's all completely disappeared!

:-S

Squirrels will certainely make off with a whole net and hook.

I'm no nature expert but I've read that small birds like blue tits loose so much of their energy/body weight overnight ( especially when cold nights come ,like now ) that if they head to a spot where there's normally food and find none ,then they are in trouble because they lack the energy to look further afield.

Apparently if you start feeding them,putting out peanuts etc,then it's important to continue.

Yes, we do this, and find there can be lulls when it seems little gets taken, and then all hell lets loose as sparrows, blue, great and long-tailed tits and finches all bombard the assortment of seed, nut and suet-ball feeders we have in the garden and hanging off the house, in what seems like a kind of shift system! A pair of blackbirds and a robin clean up on the ground beneath.

Thanks people - b***** squirrels!

Thanks for the blue tit clip, but really, ungrateful little sods - they have a peanut feeder constantly topped up, a fatball feeder ditto, they did (pre squirrel attack) have a seed feeder, and still they eat paint off my window sill :))

• 4 weeks later...

Went to see Fantastic Mr Fox on Sunday.

Monday Tuesday and Wednesday went out into the garden and found a young fox there each time, today found my fairy lights chewed into tiny pieces (lucky they weren't plugged in) and now have discovered he has a cosy bed right under my kitchen window.

My garden is only tiny, so I feel quite privileged! He seems to be getting used to me. Bit of a distraction from work though, I have to keep looking to see what he's doing :-S