ED Nature Watch

https://bigbutterflycount.butterfly-conservation.org/   

The big butterfly watch is here . From now until 4th August if you can find 15 minutes of your time to observe and record any butterflies you see in your garden, park or anywhere else. A fun activity to do with the kids. The website has a handy id chart. You can can do a 15 minute watch as many times as you like. This information is really helpful in knowing how to help our butterflies. Even if you don't see any, they need that information too. Good luck  🤞

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

'RHS asks for gardeners’ successes and failures to plan for changing climate

Charity wants to know how climate crisis is affecting plants and what UK gardeners are doing to mitigate effects'

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/article/2024/jul/31/rhs-gardeners-successes-failures-plan-changing-climate-uk

Direct link to survey (closes 15 October): https://www.rhs.org.uk/science/articles/climate-change-gardening-survey

• 2 weeks later...

How have people dealt, or not, with the huge amount of slugs this year. Has anyone else noticed plants being eaten that would normally be untouched? Is this down to a new type of slug or just competition for food as so many more of them?

2 hours ago, first mate said:

How have people dealt, or not, with the huge amount of slugs this year. Has anyone else noticed plants being eaten that would normally be untouched? Is this down to a new type of slug or just competition for food as so many more of them?

My Acanthus mollis is eaten to the ground, apart from the flower spikes.

I have just left them to it, on the basis that if they are eating this they aren't eating anything else. Anyway, pigeons have trampled over most of my plants 😭 leaving an expanse of bare earth beneath the bird feeders.

I don't use slug pellets any more. I did mean to try beer traps, but I kept forgetting. I hope the frogs will eat the slugs, but the slugs seem to be winning.

The attached pic of a slug hospital made me laugh a lot 😂 I don't know the poster, it was shared by someone else.

Screenshot_20240816-121533.png

Edited by Sue
  • Like 1

I do not use slug pellets either and, like you, keep forgetting beer traps. I had hoped that foxes etc would have a feast, especially on a rainy night when the lawn is literally carpeted with slugs. Suspect these city foxes prefer stuff in the bins etc...

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, first mate said:

Yes, indeed. The most bizarre thing, never seen before, is them climbing up into the roses, 2 metres or more, to eat the blooms (not the leaves).

3 hours ago, Lynne said:

A small bird of prey came and sat on a TV aerial in Crawthew Rd. I couldn't see it's colouring distinctly. Smaller than a pigeon, bigger than a blackbird. Sparrowhawk>?

Years ago, I used to get loads of starlings in my garden, until one day one was carried off - in great and noisy distress -  by a bird of prey. I realised what was happening too late to do anything about it, though not sure what I could have done anyway.

After that, not a single starling came back to the garden.  Ever.

I get loads of sparrows now. So I hope this bird doesn't get one of "my" sparrows and all the other sparrows disappear, as I'm only round the corner from Crawthew Road 😢

Edited by Sue

I had a similar incident the other day, but with a parakeet taken by a small bird of prey. I have never heard such a loud and extended cacophony of screaming birds in my life, not just parakeets but also crows etc.. It seemed to go on for ages. I don't know if the bird of prey kept his prey or not, but he ended up on a branch being watched over by a crow (photo attached). They stayed like that for 20 minutes or so until the bird of prey dropped down. It hasn't put off the parakeets.

P1010392.JPG

P1010389.JPG

Edited by IlonaM
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Nigello said:

I think it’s a sparrow hawk. I had one swoop on a pigeon which managed to flee. Is your hawk near to Dunstans/Goodrich, Ilona? Maybe it’s the same one as at Crawthew. 

I have had sparrowhawks before, but this one seemed smaller - maybe a juvenile? I am at the Horniman/South Circular end of Underhill. Lots of trees and below the Horniman, so great territory.