Meter readers--legitimate?

In the last few weeks, I've had several people knocking on the door claiming they were there to read the meter. I let the first one in, and he indeed, read the meter. A second turned up two days after him, and a third about a week later. Another knocked on the door yesterday. Are these people legitimate? Why so many? Anyone else experiencing this? I've not let anyone in after the first.

another benefit of opening up utilities to competition - there isn't a day when I work from home when I don't have someone knock to read the meter - they all have ID but then they work for some contracting company on BEHALF of Utilitie'R'Us.

I watch them check the meter, they take the reading and off they go - been happening for years and drives me mad but what can you do

Not long ago I had someone come to the door who - I thought - said he wanted to read the meter. Turned out he actually wanted me to change my gas supplier - on the doorstep - of course he had no information to give me, they never do, they think I'm just going to say "oh yes, what a good idea, of course whoever is paying you to say so must be much cheaper than my existing supplier, give me that form and I'll sign it immediately."

:)):)):))

Edited to add: What drives me mad are those teatowel sellers, their stuff is rubbish and so is their story :'(

I had meter readers round (Southside East Dulwich) about a fortnight ago on Saturday morning - did consider saying no thanks as I take the reading myself and phone it in every 6 months or so. Had ID and seemed legit.

But what does a meter reader's ID look like? I couldn't tell you what they should look like. Just because it has a photo & company logo on it doesn't mean they are legit. Easy enough to make something look official if you have nothing to compare it to.

SimonM Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Do they all offer/show ID?

good point, f.onion - i always make a point of asking for id but i have no idea what i'm looking for - as long as the photo looks vaguely like them and there's an energy company logo that i recognise, they're in: that just means they know how to use a photo booth and have a colour printer... (?)

Had the meter readers round 3 weeks ago. Just got a bill with estimated meter readings. Asked NPower why they had estimated my gas and electricity consumption considering they had read the meters just recently. "It may not have been one of our guys" was the answer. "Who else would want to read my meter" I asked. "Because we don't own the meters, sometimes other companies read the meters, but they don't pass the information on to us" came the answer. Another example of stunning efficiency in a highly priced energy market...

Chap from Accuread came round this morning - he seemed legit. Had his badge and knew which company I was with and the correct meter number was on his little machine. I guess I'll jsut have to wait and check th eonline billing to see if it appears. Thought I was a guy who lived there 18 months+ ago though.