Dangerous drivers everywhere!!

march46

Seems I can't walk anywhere without seeing drivers speeding, distracted by their mobile phone, dangerously parking across junctions, idling etc...

They are in charge of huge heavy vehicles that can do serious damage yet take none of the care needed. Do they fear no consequences with police resources seemingly unable to tackle this?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Some refresher training and a government campaign aimed at all road users, to share the highway would be excellent.

As for enforcement we decided as a nation to reduce the priority and resourcing decades ago,  I expect that this was under Thatch because drivers should show personal responsibility, and Blair onwards do not wish to upset motorists (and sadly today Starmer is indicating the same).

• Like 1

Is this thread not repetitive to the thread Malumbu started on Road User standards and therefore should be amalgamated into a single thread under admins rules.....sorry couldn't resist.....I appear to have caught a dose of Malumbu lounge police-itis.;-)

Edited by Rockets
  • Agree 1

Pot kettle black Rocks as so many threads digress towards your views on LTN, Southwark, TfL and the like.

Only fair that we have a crap drivers thread, to complement the dodgy cyclists one.  perhaps you could start a thread about rabid pedestrians.

My thread on training for all road users is not mode specific.  And it is one all can have views on whatever lobby (silly expression) we are part of.

Perhaps it is the impatience that needs scrutiny, for all vehicle users? The inclination to take short cuts, or the gap, whether driver or cyclist. If people were less stressed they'd probably be more patient? There is also the odd thrill seeker but on the whole a lot of these driving and cycling issues revolve around a need to do everything as quickly as possible.

I read some research somewhere about how the cycling style in Amsterdam is very different. People don't change their clothing, they use sit up and beg rather than racing-style bikes, and on the whole cycle at a much more leisurely pace. 

Posted elsewhere but relevant to this thread. The council is responding to complaints from businesses and residents and is looking to strengthen parking protocols so CEOs don’t have to wait 5 mins before issuing tickets. Good news for road safety / bad news for drivers who park inconsiderately!

https://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/mgIssueHistoryHome.aspx?IId=50032081

• Like 1

Policing this will require many more wardens and with the massive surplus swishing around in council roads funds no doubt we'll soon see a lot more of them.

What would be great is if similar fines could be levied on inappropriately parked hire e-bikes and scooters. If not on the individuals using them then on the hire companies. With many more wardens this should be feasible.

• Administrator

To clarify:

For simplicity, its intended this forum board is for any debate or issue related to transport or roads. East Dulwich, Southwark, London-wide or even country wide. There will be no lounging unless the topic has absolutely nothing to do with these subjects.

However, as usual, please respect standard forum etiquette.

• Keep on topic as much as possible. If someone makes a post about a specific local issue, please avoid replies which derail into a wider debate. Please start your own topic if you want to change the conversation. 
  • Please be respectful when debating. Be mindful that other people may have a difference of opinion to yourself. Especially important in this forum board, as historically many of the topics here (LTNs, CPZs, ULEZ, cyclists vs drivers) provoke strong debate.

I have added this message to the top of this forum board for all to see (click the orange 'Rules for Roads & Transports' button at the top).

43 minutes ago, first mate said:

. It would seem a little unfair to mix in local issues with anything else anywhere that just happens to touch on roads or traffic. 

At the moment I don't see the volume of new topics being created on this board to be high enough that local issues on this board are drowned out by the more general debate focused topics. 

Having every single transport related discussion here is a much simpler concept for new members to understand and avoids me having to make an arbitrary decision if or when every topic in here gets lounged.

• Like 1

Joe, thanks for the clarification. Very glad to see that deliberate attempts to derail threads has been added to the list of  no-nos.

3 hours ago, march46 said:

Following on from this isn't that part of Rye Lane closed to through traffic?

Stick to the point of the thread will you.

My favourite bad drivers are on Brenchley Gardens when they overtake on the wrong side of the bollards.  You can hear them tearing up the street, then having to slow down, before you overtake them at the next junction as you can cycle round the stationary cars.  Patience is in deed a good word.  Was going to do a mate in for driving to close to me on my bike, but they could be identified from the description of the vehicle and lose business in the area.  Fortunately many nutters in cars give you plenty of notice as they are in too high a gear.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, march46 said:

Dangerous drivers are mounting the pavement on Rosendale Rd in order to avoid roadworks. Take care if travelling this way. Hopefully these videos will be acted on by the police.

"I suppose what would be refreshing if one, just one, of the driving lobby who post here could agree there is a problem in the Dulwich area right now with bad driving  - but no, it never happens and never will happen, because like so many things about the pro-passive travel groups they are more than happy to turn a blind eye to their own group's indiscretions and dismiss it."

• Like 1

I suppose we have become so accustomed to poor driving that we don't notice it unless it is extreme.  I'd wager nobody on this forum knows how to drive smoothly in traffic calmed areas.  Apart from me, and the only other people I know are a mate in New Zealand and the chap who kindly advised me twenty years ago. A way of doing this is the no braking game, compete with the driver in front.  The only bad thing about the Court Lane closure is I can no longer win 13 0 as I would on the odd occasion I drove there in the past.  Hands up who gives signal well in advance of the junction? I expect that most of you don't.

But as someone cycling on the pavement is rather in your face this gets more traction.  And of course that many of you don't like cyclists or the supposed cycle lobby - some of you will not be aware that this is the case as you are cyclists yourself.

On 22/07/2023 at 07:08, first mate said:

People don't change their clothing, they use sit up and beg rather than racing-style bikes, and on the whole cycle at a much more leisurely pace. 

Lots of people here don't change their clothing. I doubt kids are specifically changing into school uniform just to cycle to school for example. And I see plenty of people cycling in normal clothes going about their business.

• Like 3

Bad driving is a problem. Bad cycling is a problem. I laugh when I see people saying it would be nice if some of the pro-driving lobby could acknowledge problems. Many do. Many fewer from the pro-cycling lobby will do the same on their side of the fence, they are far more likely to try and throw in a...Well cars kill more people than bikes do....perhaps the problem is on the anti-car lobby side.

The fact this thread even exists is probably the best example of whataboutery out there....no one has ever done anything other than acknowledge there is bad driving out there but some seemingly want to try to make a very childish point.

• Like 2